« TypeKey Identity | Main | Brett Weber's photo shoot »

September 13, 2005

Deployed to Iraq

The townhouse I used to live in I still own and rent out. It's vacant in October, and I've been needing to find another resident to move in.

Someone saw an ad online. Her husband is being deployed to Iraq at the end of the month and she wants to find a safer neighborhood for herself and their 4 children - all girls between the ages of 12 years and 5 months old.

This, unlike anything else, has made the conflict in the Middle East so personal for me. I don't know exactly why, but I can barely think about it without tearing up. What if this man dies, leaving behind these 5 girls who depend on him? Is it worth it? If he dies, I may have to join Cindy Sheehan in Crawford, Texas.

So, anyway, I'm showing the house to her tomorrow. For rent, she can pay what she can afford. And I will be praying for her husband's safety.

Posted by jason on September 13, 2005 01:35 PM

Comments

hey guys the site looks awesome. congrats. you should think about doing this stuff for a living! chuckles....yes, i agree with the above sentiments. check this out
Vacation is Over... an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
MMFlint@aol.com
www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

Posted by: joshua Latshaw on September 13, 2005 08:31 PM

Yeah, and I also blame bush for the eagle's loss, and for the extinction of dinosaurs, and for Donanld Trump’s horrid hair, and my ever increasing waist line. Hey, just because I may ridiculously report issues with extreme bias and one sidedness, and I really don’t let facts or truth get in the way of making documentaries( making me very rich ), doesn’t mean I'm not a condescending ass.

Yours,

Michael Moore
MMdick@aol.com
www.MichaelMoore(as in more money for me).com

P.S. Ha Ha i'm rich

Posted by: Michael Moore on September 14, 2005 01:54 PM

good to hear people are into a good healhy debate over serious issues. i love you righties, the first thing you bring up about michael moore is that he is overweight. uh, how does rush look? maybe he is rich too? at least he is using his voice for the less fortunate and not the corporate whores and billionaire club that bush serves.

Posted by: joshua Latshaw on September 14, 2005 07:22 PM

*shakes head* Why does this have to become an "oh you stupid righties/lefties" hm? Do I think Bush is perfect? No. Am I perfect? A resounding NO. However, Bush is currently the person in authority in our government and I think that whether or not he makes all the right choices, he deserves at least some respect. I support him. I do wish to see both sides of the story and I wish we'd get more help down in there (New Orleans etc.) One question: Are we doing our part?

Posted by: sha'uri [TypeKey Profile Page] on September 14, 2005 10:26 PM

I recently discovered that George Bush and I do share something in common. I have a resting heart rate of 47.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member [TypeKey Profile Page] on September 15, 2005 12:48 AM

Hey Collin, I just read that you have a resting heart rate of 47. My first thought was "O, my gosh are you sure you are okay." (because dude you know that, that means that your heart doesn't even beat once every second) Then I thought for another second and realized that you are a palkovitz (this was not a new discovery but I had forgotten for a moment) you make jokes all the time so you might just be saying that "You don't like Bush and he mine as well be dead." After my great revalation another thought came to me....maybe you really just don't know how to check your paulse.

Posted by: Anonymous on September 15, 2005 02:14 AM

just out of curiousity shari if you lived in germany during the second world war would you have supported hitler because he was our leader? i have always wondered that about people who say "we need to support him no matter what!"

Posted by: joshua Latshaw on September 15, 2005 06:44 AM

No. I would not. but I believe that there are huge insurmountable differences between Bush and Hitler. You may not see them, but that's your choice. I'm not saying we should support him no matter what. what I am saying is that I think we should support him as long as he's not doing something morally objectionable, we can't support that, but if he's overall not doing everything contrary to what is Biblical (by the way i dont' think he is) then I think we should still support him for the rest of his presidential years, which by the way are obviously numbered since we have that two-term thing. I can't say that he makes all the wisest decisions. I don't know his heart, only God can. I'm just saying that from what I see, I'm willing to support him. you don't have to agree. God bless!

Posted by: sha'uri on September 15, 2005 08:30 AM

Thanks for your concern anon. A low resting heart rate is a good thing. The lower the better. I do know how to check my pulse with a stopwatch alarm and a simple system known as counting. Oh, and those fancy chairs in drug stores that check your pulse, and blood pressure.

I was not wishing death on George. I don't wish death on anyone. I do disagree with a LOT of what I see coming out of the white house, but I don't wish he would die.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on September 15, 2005 11:06 AM

Sha' uri, I share your sentiments of supporting your leaders unless they do something morally objectionable. However, I think that George bush has done a LOT of things that are morally objectionable.

I know that it is a stretch to blame George Bush for a lot of the things that are wrong with the world, but there are some things that legitimately do point back to him. He has a very strong top-down approach to leading the country and the military. A lot of the major decisions come through him. At the very least, he, being the leader of our country, has to take responsibility for the actions of his country's military that was sent out on his command.

Did you know that in Iraq, thousands upon thousands of men, women, and children have died from health problems resulting directly from the fact that they cannot get clean water? Do you know why they cannot get clean water? It is because the American military bombed all of the water treatment facilities and sewer treatment facilities in the major cities (both of which are defined as wars crimes by the Geneva Convention). Now the drinking water is contaminated by raw sewage and cannot be purified. Every day, many more civilians die from digestive failure that is a direct result of these military actions.

Did you know that thousands of people in the rural areas of iraq have died from starvation and lack of water? Do you know why? It is because the American military bombed the irrigation systems that supply villages and farmers fields with drinking water and water for crops. Once again, this is not in accord with the rules of engagement as defined by the Geneva Convention.

Did you know that many many other people (entire villages) were slaughtered by carpet bombs? Carpet bombing is literally dropping so many bombs in a line that you cover an entire area with deadly fire and everything in the path is demolished. I watched a video of this happening to a farming village. What exactly did the kids in the school there do to deserve that? What about their moms who were getting water at the well?

I only tell these stories to illustrate a point. You don't hear about these numbers in the American media. Did you know that the American Military now has an OFFICIAL policy against taking a body count of the people they kill? The largest discrepancy Comes from the fact that the American military does not take responsibility for deaths caused by disease or starvation. Those 2 policies conveniently make it so that you only hear about the few "insurgents" killed in action or by "smart bombs" and literally THOUSANDS of civilian deaths are never accounted for.

Did george bush personally launch the bombs that destroyed whole villages, sewage treatment plants, or water purification facilities? No. Did George Bush send the Military over to Iraq? Yes. Are the soldiers performing these "duties" following orders? Yes. Should the man in charge take responsibility for the actions of those under him who are "just following orders?" Yes. I a still waiting for an apology to the citizens of Iraq.

I think it is sad that people will not admit that George Bush is responsible for decisions that are very morally objectionable. Thousands upon thousands of innocent people are dead as a direct result of decisions he has made. He does not follow the Christian Morality to which he claims to subscribe. His claims of being a Christian just trying to do the will of God are what win him such undying support from many conservatives.

I would like someone to explain how the slaughter of innocent people follows the christian moral code.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on September 15, 2005 11:44 AM

Iraq is even more screwed not thanks to Katrina. The gov had started building back the things that they blew up. However, now that the gulf coast is in shambles much of the reconstruction in iraq has come to a halt. Why? Our resources are finite and they are a lower priority.

Posted by: ian on September 15, 2005 11:51 AM

It is now official government policy that people who wear turbans are less important than anyone else and should be, in fact, considered slightly less than human. We should go f*#@ up their lives and then leave em' to rot.

You want some Christian Ethics? Click my name and you can get a dose of my God damn ethics.

Posted by: George Bush on September 15, 2005 01:11 PM

Those things you listed about the war might be ture but it is not like we were aming for their water supply. It is not like Gorge bush was like ummm lets go after their water supply. We were bombing then and some missed. Are you perfect I know I am not. Once Gorge gets Iraq back on it's feet he is going to set up a gorverment that is Christian.

Posted by: Demacrack on September 15, 2005 02:22 PM

It is exceedingly clear from aerial photographs, locations of the treatment facilities, and the orders given to pilots (I read the specific orders a pilot was recounting in an interview) that bombing the things I listed were 100% planned attacks. There is no doubt about it. The attacks were made to "hit where it hurts." If you look at aerial photographs of the bombings of the irrigation systems, it is very plain that there is NOTHING else around. They are the only possible target in the area. The fact that it happened over and over and over again also says something for the theory that it was a "mistake."

Lets pretend for a second that all of those bombings were accidental and that they were meant to hit other things. Well then we "accidentally" bombed 16 out of 17 treatment facilities in Bagdad . Oops. Or how about 100% of all irrigation systems in certain regions. Oops again. Someone still needs to be held accountable because thousands upon thousands of innocent people are dead as a result. Maybe I'm not perfect, but thousands of people don't die when I screw something up.

If George is going to set up the kind of "Christian" government that we have (one that slaughters countless thousands of civilians) he can keep it. We don't need any more governments like that around.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member [TypeKey Profile Page] on September 15, 2005 04:00 PM

Read this book for a lot of great research and statistics, "War Crimes: A Report on United States War Crimes Against Iraq." It was put together by the international war crimes tribunal.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member [TypeKey Profile Page] on September 15, 2005 04:03 PM

I think that report is about the first Iraq war and the first Bush president – am I right?

Posted by: Jason – Band Member [TypeKey Profile Page] on September 15, 2005 05:07 PM

There was no attempt at serious debate, though Moore's open letter wasn't much of one either. And if he can use satire to get his point across, then I can make fun of him if I want to.

So lighten up or move to France.

Posted by: micheal moore (mo money mo money) on September 15, 2005 05:43 PM

I don't ever consider Moore a source of fact or logical debate, but I do think that he perfectly exemplifies the value of freedom of speech. Look at what that letter started here. All of his material tends to spark such conversations.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on September 15, 2005 06:53 PM

P.S. It is sad to see people lighten up. As Martin Luther King said, "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on September 15, 2005 06:56 PM

Well, it brings luke-warm and kinda fuzzy feelings to my heart that we're not killing eachother like mean little rabid animals (I say luke-warm and kinda fuzzy merely b/c debate and confrontation are not always my strong points) :-) but i'm glad we're all being civil about it! bravo to ya'll!

Posted by: sha'uri [TypeKey Profile Page] on September 16, 2005 08:09 AM

"It is sad to see people lighten." response: das crap

Humor can help one through the hard times, plus it can make the good times better. When I said lighten up, I didn't mean ignore the situation or stay quiet. With virtually half the country split down the middle and at ends with one another, we could all use a little humor to lighten the mood. Righties and lefties need to lighten up sometimes, and maybe make fun of stupid ambidextrous people.

Besides, recent medical research has confirmed that laughter enhances the blood flow to the body’s extremities and improves cardiovascular function, plays an active part in the body’s release of endorphins and other natural mood elevating and pain-killing chemicals, improves the transfer of oxygen and nutrients to internal organs.(getting high) Thus providing you with a longer more enjoyable life.
So yeah, lighten up and let's all get high

Posted by: mo mo money on September 16, 2005 12:54 PM

Well, if that's what you meant, then I agree, lightening up is good. I love laughing and having fun. Somehow the statement "So lighten up or move to France" in the midst of a political discussion didn't make me think you meant we should tell some jokes. I guess I misread that statement.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on September 16, 2005 02:58 PM

Dude, I think you meant to say "lighting up" Not "lightening up."

Posted by: ian on September 17, 2005 04:07 PM

dude, why ya got call a brotha out that dat.

Posted by: mo mo money on September 17, 2005 09:07 PM

dude, why ya got call a brotha out that dat.

Posted by: mo mo money on September 17, 2005 09:07 PM

"lighten up" and "lightening up." (like to not be so heavy or dark).

"lighting up" means to shot someone or hit them alot with dodgeballs or something. or adding more light.

Posted by: jason - band member on September 18, 2005 12:18 AM

I live at 71244 Commonwealth in Seattle. Been up here before?

Posted by: Mike Flacklestein on August 2, 2006 06:57 PM