« Sad Update | Main | Copy Protected CDs Make no Sense. »

September 17, 2005

Nintendo's big gamble

I'll admit it, I have a soft spot in my heart for Nintendo. Ever since I first played Zelda in the 6th Grade, I've been hooked. And I've been frustrated for and with them as their last 2 systems haven't been anywhere near as popular as Sony's and Microsoft's offering.

I am now excited and nervous for them. When I first saw the controller for their next generation console, I was worried. It looked insane for a controller. So different from the normal.

But now I've read more about it, in places like this excellent rundown from ign.com, and now I'm completely amazed by the potential that the new design holds. In fact, it's not really just a new design, it's a completely new way of interacting with your games.

I believe that I will buy the new Xbox (for the XBOX LIVE functionality) when it releases this year, and then wait for the Nintendo, skipping the Playstation 3. And it's cool, because I think the 2 systems won't be redundant. My Revolution will let me swing Link's sword, or actually hold a gun and aim at the screen, or physically cast and reel in a fishing rod. If it succeeds where it's trying to succeed. . . the Nintendo will just may make all the other systems look primitive. Who would have thought they would be able to accomplish that?

PS. The overall design of the revolution is very pleasing to the eye. It looks like they're taking a play out of Apple's playbook with it. . . but it kind of looks a little like something Sony would design too. Very nice overall. I can't wait.

PPS. Of course, the only reason I'd buy these systems would be so I could play them with my kids.

Posted by jason on September 17, 2005 11:41 PM

Comments

Looks weird. Might be awesome.

P.S. Was posting something about video games just an underhanded attempt to get me to post. Because, if it was . . . it worked.

Xerxes

Posted by: Xerxes [TypeKey Profile Page] on September 18, 2005 12:31 AM

...i use to be a freak about this stuff

nitendo in my opinion doesn't have much compeiting with XBOX 360 and PS3....first off there's not much games lauching with it and you know although the controller looks revolutionary...so supposidly was the dreamcast and we all know how horribly crappy that console was....poor sega.

Honestly if your waging into the console war...I've always had my fav hand in PS3 rather than XBOX 360. I could go on and on about why I think its better but im commenting not posting.

Jase look up PS3 specs...you will be flippin amazed

Posted by: Poncho [TypeKey Profile Page] on September 18, 2005 01:58 AM

I don't know. I read IGN's write up and I'm not sold. I think it looks like it could be way over complicated. Plus I hate when gamers twist and turn their controllers like it will effect their character(Drew), and this will just encourage them.

Posted by: Isaiah on September 18, 2005 12:39 PM

OK, if you think it's too complex you can just use the normal controller, which will also be available, so I don't see how it hurts things.

Now twisting and turning the controller WILL effect the characters! Drew was just being prophetic!

About the specs . . while I agree that graphics matter, my favorite games of all time were not the best graphics, but they were great games, so I can't pick a system based on specs alone. Plus, PS2 was supposed to have great graphics too, and I think xbox and gamecube are better. It's not just pure power of the specs, it's how the system translates that power into actual gameplay, for me.

Plus, as far as I know Playstation doesn't have anything nearly as cool as XBOX live. And that is a big deal for me.

Posted by: Jason – Band Member [TypeKey Profile Page] on September 18, 2005 02:35 PM

I was worried about this until I heard about the normal controller, I think the success of this controller will lay in how well the games end up taking advantage of it. I guess time will tell.

Posted by: Jack on September 19, 2005 07:32 AM

Good Point Jack. I guess each game will have to be equiped for this new controller somehow. Does anyone know if all games for the new system will take advantage of the new controller's capabilities or will it be just a few games?

Posted by: Collin - band member on September 19, 2005 09:30 AM

I don't think all will use the new style controller, I read that somewhere.

Posted by: Jason – Band Member [TypeKey Profile Page] on September 19, 2005 09:43 AM

*shrugs* lolz great point jase but yea im way too tired right now to wrote out everything i think but i know its not about graphics...but honestly when it coems down to it...its all based on people's personal taste and opinions. I liked the game cube because of SUPER SMASH BROS!!! but i believe playstation has more games under their belt that are more than wonderful. Ive always loved sony and i think i always will

nitendo will always be great though...cant mess w/old school right?

Posted by: Anonymous on September 19, 2005 05:07 PM

oh yea that was me poncho....i forgot to sign in im too lazy

Posted by: Anonymous on September 19, 2005 05:07 PM

Poncho -

Definitely agree on the games, playstations always have the edge in games.

Posted by: Jason – Band Member [TypeKey Profile Page] on September 19, 2005 08:20 PM