« Online Press Kit | Main | change. it's worth less than a dollar. »

October 10, 2005

Fair Hill SAVED

Hallelujah!

Md. Naval Academy to Get Horse Park Park Will Host National, International Equestrian Events

By ALEX DOMINGUEZ
Associated Press
Monday, October 10, 2005; 1:39 PM

A Naval Academy dairy farm has been selected as the site for a proposed horse park designed to attract national and international equestrian events, the Maryland Stadium Authority announced Monday.

The proposal calls for a 5,000-seat arena, 1,000 stalls, eight to 10 show rings and other horse amenities. The 800-plus acre dairy farm site was one of two finalists, along with a site in Fair Hill in Cecil County near the Delaware and Pennsylvania borders.

The Anne Arundel County site, which was supported unanimously by the selection committee, is in close proximity to major highways, almost 9,000 hotel rooms, numerous restaurants and other tourist
attractions, the stadium authority said.

Cecil County, in contrast, has 1,090 hotel rooms and the surrounding area has less tourism infrastructure, said Alison L. Asti, executive director of the stadium authority.

The selection committee was also concerned that visitors would leave the state seeking hotel rooms, dining and other services if the Fair Hill site was selected, Asti said.

"We felt the economic impact to the state would be much greater in central Maryland and we didn't want to lose the business to out-of-state hotels and restaurants," Asti said. "Since this is an economic
development initiative, it's important to have those revenues stay in the state of Maryland."

The site is also more centrally located in relation to the state's horse industry.
"If you look at a map of all the horses in Maryland, the site in Anne Arundel County is smack in the center of the most populated horse areas in the state," Asti said.

Organizers hope the horse park, to be modeled after one in Kentucky, will become a tourist destination as well as attracting large national and international equestrian events.

Rob Burk, executive director of the Maryland Horse Industry Board, said the park will also promote agriculture and encourage the preservation of open space.

Six sites were nominated for the horse park, and the selection committee narrowed the list to Annapolis and Fair Hill on Aug. 23. The selection will be followed by a feasibility study of the winning
site, with the results forwarded to the General Assembly. Lawmakers will have to authorize a bond bill before the park can be built.

Architects working on the proposed park have also discussed the possibility of a working farm museum at the site, which would incorporate the Naval heritage of the property.

Posted by jason on October 10, 2005 04:02 PM

Comments

Fair Hill is one of my favorite places in the world... I am glad it was saved :)

Posted by: Esther on October 10, 2005 04:42 PM

PTL! W00t!!!!!!!

Posted by: shaote on October 10, 2005 07:21 PM

thanks the lord.

Posted by: shane on October 10, 2005 08:02 PM

thank the lord.

Posted by: shane on October 10, 2005 08:03 PM

Tell you the truth I wish they had put it in I wish I could go there and win a million dollars and shove it in all your faces. Man I wish they would tare that crapy fair hill down no one gose there. Only people that go there are rednecks.

Posted by: Anonymous on October 10, 2005 09:35 PM

1) there wasn't going to be gambling there.

2) you can't tear down open space. you tear down buildings.

3) those words are spelled "crappy" and "goes."

not a good comment.

Posted by: jason - band member on October 10, 2005 09:52 PM

You must be one of those rednecks!

Posted by: Anonymous on October 10, 2005 10:06 PM

Thats really good to hear. My thoughts all along were that the horse park itself wouldnt really affect the parts we love about Fair Hill too much. However, as they stated in the article, the proposal would have lead to hotels, restaurants, shops, and tons of development in that area. I would prefer to keep Cecil as rural as possible.

Posted by: jaysonjaz on October 10, 2005 10:14 PM

We should all celebrate this great victory for Fair Hill. I know that there were a lot of other factors that went into the decision, but I have to believe that the public support rallied behind the "save fair hill" cause made an impact as well.

I think we should take this as a lesson to never let our voices be silenced. If you care about something and you believe in your cause, speak up. There are probably others just like you who believe what you do. If nobody starts the movement, a powerful mass of people will be unheard. By speaking up, you may start to turn a tide.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on October 10, 2005 10:47 PM

The only people that go to fairhill are rednecks, therefore, I am a redneck.
I love fairhill. I have been there like three times in the past few days.
so, I guess I am a redneck, and proud of it.

Posted by: Shane on October 10, 2005 11:21 PM

I think anonymous is baiting us and doesn't really think this. If anonymous does think this, anonymous is . . . an idiot.

Fair Hill draws a diverse crowd. Mountain Bikers, Horse Riders, Hikers, Families, Lovers, Rednecks, Red Coats.

Posted by: jason - band member on October 10, 2005 11:28 PM

anonny is "sofa king we ta did"

Posted by: Anonymous on October 11, 2005 11:55 AM

I love the sofa king.

How cool would it be if this were a real advertisement for a real store?

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on October 11, 2005 03:16 PM

It is a shame that there are individuals out here who think they accomplished anything other than expediting the deterioration of Fair Hill. The loss of the Horse Park designation was a blow to Cecil County. Then again since most of the neigh sayers were from Delaware and Pennsylvania I don't suppose they care.

Posted by: Anonymous on November 14, 2005 12:20 AM

Explain yourself, please! As of now, Fair Hill is basically run by volunteers in terms of maintenance, what exactly does it need so much revenue for? And, as the study showed, most of the "added income" from this horse park would have gone to Delaware, so how is this a blow to Cecil County?

I live in Cecil County, and it's just fine with leaving Fair Hill the way it's meant to be, unspoiled.

Posted by: Jason – Band Member [TypeKey Profile Page] on November 14, 2005 12:23 AM

It doesn't sound like anonymous cares for
red necks so he should be very happy
Fair Hill didn't get the park. We kind of
like being red necks and Fair Hill the way
it is. Those people and their funny little
tights don't fit with red necks anyway.

Posted by: John on November 16, 2005 10:20 PM

Great Information, thanks for the great Post. I will come back later . Great information about JV Attraction Formula Review : JV Attraction Formula Review

Posted by: Nickole Friebel on September 24, 2010 01:27 PM