« Playing at the Gathering in King of Prussia, PA | Main | The new Look Machine song »

October 06, 2005

Quotes about Art and Rejection and Needing to Keep Trying

We're working on redesigning the website at Elany Arts in our big push to get more clients (that's a design agency where Collin and I work to pay some bills here and then when the rockstar thing get tiresome.)

Anyway, I wanted to rotate through different inspiration quotations about design and art and stuff like that on the site, and in the search for some, I found some great quotes that apply to the neverending grind of rejection that any artist faces.

I thought I should share them with you.

"There is always a heavy demand for fresh mediocrity. In every generation the least cultivated taste has the largest appetite." Paul Gauguin

"If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced."
Vincent van Gogh

"Inspiration may be a form of superconsciousness, or perhaps of subconsciousness - I wouldn't know. But I am sure it is the antithesis of self-consciousness."
Aaron Copland

"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail."
Dr Edwin Land

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist when you grow up."
Pablo Picasso

"I passionately hate the idea of being with it, I think an artist has always to be out of step with his time."
Orson Welles

"Ah good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
Pablo Picasso

"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."
Howard Aiken

Posted by jason on October 6, 2005 03:45 PM

Comments

I like the last one >=-D

Posted by: shaote on October 6, 2005 04:09 PM

. . . Aaron Copland must be the SMARTEST PERSON EVER.

P.S. You don't know how hard it was to type his last name. There should be an "e".

Posted by: Xerxes on October 6, 2005 04:57 PM

SHANE.(i tihnk your name is shane.) TAKE OFF YOUR PANTS!
mmmmmmm.
(i know rebecca and she wanted me to comment ^.^)

Posted by: Jevan on October 6, 2005 05:08 PM

Shane for godsake keep your good fo nothing pants on. Your shirt you can take off though.

“Your manuscript is both good and original. But the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.” - funny rejection letter

We are both great men, but I have succeeded better in keeping it a secret than he has.

Modesty is a vastly overrated virtue.

Posted by: Paul Nathaniel Odders on October 6, 2005 07:41 PM

"This song goes out to me because I am so &%$@&%# good looking!!!!"

Posted by: Storyoftheyearman on October 6, 2005 08:12 PM

Mr. Shane you certainly are apriciating these girls and boys i guess saying how much they love you lolz

i would too....the guy part not the girl part

Posted by: Poncho on October 6, 2005 09:13 PM

blah blah blah comment comment....

Posted by: Christina on October 6, 2005 09:15 PM

i forced chri to comment :)

Posted by: Poncho on October 6, 2005 09:19 PM

Some Funny Bumper Sticker Quotes

Keep honking, I am reloading!

The fastest way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly

Stupidity is not a crime so you’re free to go

There are 2 types of pedestrians, the quick and the dead.

Learn from your parent’s mistakes use birth control

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

All men are idiots, and I married their king.

Friends help you move; real friends help you move the body

3 kinds of people: Those who can count and those who can't.

7 days with out Jesus makes one weak

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Anyone can give up smoking, but it takes a real man to face cancer.

Boycott shampoo, demand real poo instead.

Constipated People Don't Give A Shit.

Cole’s Law: Thinly Sliced Cabbage

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet
engines.

Few women admit their age, few men act it.

Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional.

Have you ever had deja vu? Have you ever had deja vu??

I hate bumper stickers!

I should never have invented the electoral college. -Al Gore

Support a cause stop plate tectonics.

Support bacteria! It's the only culture some people have.

Posted by: Jeremiah Johnson on October 6, 2005 10:00 PM

Thank you, Jeremiah. It's been a while.

Posted by: Shane on October 6, 2005 10:09 PM

"3 kinds of people: Those who can count and those who can't.

Constipated People Don't Give A Shit."

the best!

Posted by: Anonymous on October 6, 2005 10:19 PM

Been a while since I demanded some real poo . . .

Posted by: Xerxes [TypeKey Profile Page] on October 10, 2005 01:17 AM