October 19, 2005
U2 in Philadelphia
It's no secret that I love U2. Though I can get obsessed with other music, U2 will always be my first musical love. The more live shows I see, the more I appreciate what these guys do in concert. Their shows are equal parts human rights rallies, personal revelation, spiritual experience, policital statements and pure rock fun.
If you've not seen a U2 show, you owe it to yourself to catch the next one that comes to town. Seriously, that the fellows are doing what they're doing in their 40's (when most musicians are lucky to have a Vegas residency) is just incredible to me.
Highlights, Pictures and a short video clip following the link.
Highlights from this particular show:
- Bono singing the Pavoratti opera part in Miss Sarajevo ("I've been eating a lot of pasta lately, so I'm going to give it a try" he said). He really hit it too.
- An acoustic version of Walk On that was just gorgeous.
- Bruce Springsteen joining them for an impromptu jam version of People Get Ready.
- A spirited version of the bonus track Fast Cars (I love that song).
- I will follow every bit as energetic as it was the first time the played it (not that I was there, but you know what I mean). ("We're going to play a song we wrote when we were teenagers." Bono was how introduced it.)
- Bono told a story about how the band first met the Edge when his spaceship landed in North Dublin. When they asked him where he was from, he said, "I'm from the future." How is it there, they asked him. The Edge replied, "It's better." Nice hopeful introduction to a wonderful performance of Miracle Drug. (I song I just love but I know they probably won't play on future tours so I'm glad I heard it.)
The choral drums and vocals ending to "40" to close out the show.
The only thing that slightly bummed me out is that I read that the original set list called for them playing Original of the Species and Bad in one of their encores but they replaced it with People Get Ready and All Because of You once Bruce joined them. I really want to hear Bad in concert again, and I haven't heard Original of the Species either, and I adore that song. Oh well. Though I like it. . . I could do without hearing All Because of You.
Anyway, wonderful night. Wonderful show. Wonderful music and amazing band.
Here's a clip of Vertigo. . . I filmed this mostly because my son loves this song. The sound isn't great, but considering I filmed it with a digital still camera, not too bad. Love the lights. . . whoever comes up with their multimedia deserves a friendly pat on the back.
Posted by jason on October 19, 2005 12:29 PM
Cool video. You have the right to remain silent...
Posted by: The Cops... on October 20, 2005 01:59 PM
we're going to have to confiscate that. (not because we want that or anything...)
shut up, cops.
Posted by: FBI on October 20, 2005 11:26 PM
Love older U2... new stuff... eh, it just feels like they wanted x-tra cash to dip their turds in molten gold.
Posted by: Anonymous on October 24, 2005 12:14 PM
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about!
Posted by: Anonymous on October 25, 2005 04:23 PM