« "Pitch His Tents" | Main | A New Car »

November 03, 2005

New Music

Let's share for a moment.

Here's what I'm listening to and liking.

Depeche Mode's new album Playing the Angel is an unexpected yet welcome return to form for them. It's equal parts Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion with a dash of Black Celebration thrown in as well. Seriously good music.

Thrice's new album (don't want to look up how to spell it, like Vishniuui or something). I still can't tell if I like it more or less than their last release, but I definitely do like it a whole lot. Something very epic about the way it sounds, with piano and blistering guitars and excellent vocal performances. I especially like the drums. One thing I noticed is they've really gone full-on Christian with this release.

Last night I saw Ben Folds at the Electric Factory in Philly and he had a band opening for them called The Fray. I like them. If you like Coldplay or Counting Crows you should listen to them. . . they're very talented.

I also recently got the new Dar Williams and Imogen Heap (ie Frou Frou) releases, both of which are good, but I have to hear them a little more to really develop an opinion.

So. .. what are you all listening to?

Posted by jason on November 3, 2005 07:41 PM

Comments

I've also been listening to the new Thrice cd lately. I just saw them on Monday and they were able to pull off the new songs great. Piano parts and all.

I also picked up a great cd called "Desire: Piano Tribute to U2" it's a whole bunch of classic U2 songs done only with piano.

Other cds that have been in the cd player lately include: Strung Out - Exile in Oblivion; The Fire Still Burns - Keeping Hope Alive (ex-lifetime, ensign, and vision); BSF - Before the Eulogy; of course all of the look machine material I have and a bunch of random hardcore cds. Enough rambling from me though.

Posted by: Jack on November 3, 2005 08:32 PM

of course all of the look machine material I have . . .. Enough rambling from me though.

No no .. ramble as much as you want.

Posted by: Jason – Band Member [TypeKey Profile Page] on November 3, 2005 09:26 PM

Gosh,
I'm listening to... ME!!

Posted by: Shane on November 3, 2005 10:27 PM

have you heard the new nicklecreek? it's amazing...

Posted by: jd on November 3, 2005 11:29 PM

yes, i love nickelcreek.

Posted by: jason on November 4, 2005 12:05 AM

Ah, there's a guy named Alexi Murdoch who has some great songs available for download. It's kind of an acoustic rock/folk type deal. I suggest checking him out. His site should just be www.aleximurdoch.com

Posted by: Jack on November 4, 2005 06:48 AM

I love Alexi (we are on a first name basis :)

He was on the Garden State soundtrack, which happens to be one of the best soundtracks and one of the best movies.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on November 4, 2005 08:57 AM

WOAH! Depeche mode is so good! I have their new CD too because I saw em in concert! They're so good!
and thrice's new CD is really great! Myabe even better than the artist in the ambulance. But thats always one f my fav albums
wow jase! new music yea! I love new music! ^_^
but right now im listening to copeland...

Posted by: Poncho on November 4, 2005 11:28 AM

im watching (depeche mode) music video for enjoy the silence from the album violator

and for some reason i laughed when i saw the king with a beach cahir walking around. He goes to like the artic tundra its great!

Posted by: Poncho on November 4, 2005 04:59 PM

Posted by: Poncho on November 4, 2005 05:00 PM

Coldplay is so much better then The Fray

Posted by: Jenna on November 5, 2005 11:31 AM

Also, I've been listening to Death Cab for Cutie and Arcade Fire a lot latelly. They are my new favorite bands.

Posted by: Jenna on November 5, 2005 11:34 AM