« Concert Update | Main | Peter Jackson's King Kong »

December 13, 2005

A fine ride

Tonight I went horseback riding with my mom. (In case you don't know this, she's a cool person). It's almost the full moon, and it's all snowy out so it was really beautiful. We went out in Fair Hill, or the seven thousand acres, and rode for a little it over an hour.

It was really cold out, so we went bareback. It's really nice and warm that way. When you're sitting right on the horse you can borrow some of their body heat, and they are really nice and fuzzy.

Anyhow, we were out there, riding through the fields in the dark and my horse started getting nervous. She is a really big animal (half Clydesdale, which is the Budweiser Horse) and she seems a lot bigger when she's scared.

Something startled her and she shied, so I ended up on my butt on the ground. I've had this horse for like 4 years now, and this was the first time I've ever fallen off her. I'm kind of glad I did.

Whenever it's been too long since I've done something it starts to seem scary. I haven't fallen off a horse in ages, so I've been really careful not to recently. Partly to keep my good record going, partly because I forgot that it's really not a big deal.

Also, I came to the conclusion that there is absolutely no reason to play tackle football then be worried about falling off a horse. It makes no sense. It's really not any more dangerous than anything else I do.

Now I remember, falling is just part of riding and that's ok.

Posted by ian on December 13, 2005 12:23 AM

Comments

ooh! sounds like fun! which horse is this? (name)

Posted by: sha'uri on December 13, 2005 12:11 PM

sounds like a great teaching!

Posted by: Anonymous on December 13, 2005 12:30 PM

yup...

Posted by: Shane on December 13, 2005 12:47 PM

tell that to Christopher Reeves.

Posted by: Anonymous on December 13, 2005 05:01 PM

The govinator denied clemency to Stanley 'Tookie' Williams, the 51-year-old founder of the bloody Crips gang, yesterday, and today just after midnight, he was executed by lethal injection. He was convicted of the murders of four people in two 1979 holdups. Tookie professed his innocence to the very end, even when an admission of guilt might have helped save his life.

What do you guys think? Should he have been granted clemency? Should the death penalty be banned?

Posted by: childish on December 13, 2005 06:47 PM

i think the death penalty should be preserved for the extremely henious crimes where there is no doubt about innocence or guilt.

this case was difficult since he was now doing a great deal of good. but then, he founded a killing machine.

Posted by: Jason – Band Member [TypeKey Profile Page] on December 13, 2005 07:41 PM

Regaurdless of the morality of the death penalty, I think it is entirely ineffective in its current form.

If they want to keep it, they need to make it faster and more sure.

The only really good argument for it is that it's a deterrent, however, the way it's being run now, it won't deterr anybody.

I don't know if I support it at all or not, but I don't support it the way it is now.

Posted by: Ian on December 13, 2005 07:47 PM

i dont think anyone deserves to die. We were discussing this in class today. I think life in prison without parole is an extreme punishment good enough for henious crimes. I don't know I feel that I personally, if i was a judge, could never send someone out to their death even if people felt extreme hatred toward them for their crime.
I guess I'm just not comfortable with telling someone, as horrible as they may be that "You're gonna die"
although i can see some cases where the person is very mentally sick and just wanted to die so they would kill on purpose.
Gosh! lolz I guess im a little in the middle of it

Posted by: Poncho on December 13, 2005 10:18 PM

btw Judy is a very cool person :)

Posted by: Poncho on December 13, 2005 10:19 PM

i think it is good for people that have murdered multiple people, or have done hanous crimes to children or others. Spending life in prison is not punishment enought. you tell that to the countless thousands who lose their loved ones to these people. Yes they are all humans, but they need to be held accountable. Keeping them alive when they have taken so much makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Posted by: Anonymous on December 13, 2005 11:01 PM

I don't think it works as a deterrant at all because murderers aren't so logical to think "uh oh if I do this then I might get killed."

I want it for justice, and that's it. Not eye for an eye justice. I think it should be for the truly despicable people, serial killers, child killers, rapist-murderers, etc.

Read through some of the files at crimelibrary.com and tell me if one of those evil people did something to someone you loved you wouldn't be begging for the death penalty. I have to be honest, I would. And I don't really consider myself pro-death penalty. But come on. These buggers have to die. The whole world cries out to see they eliminated.

Posted by: Jason – Band Member [TypeKey Profile Page] on December 13, 2005 11:16 PM

Actually, it seems to me that the whole world is crying out for America to abolish the death penalty.

I don't see how killing a criminal makes it better for the victims or their loved ones. Maybe it's just, maybe it's not, but I don't think that it should be revenge.

Posted by: Ian on December 14, 2005 12:49 AM

And I don't think we can generalize what or how loved ones of victim feel, we've never been there.
But something has to change though; the whole system is screw up. This whole nation is screwed up. America has the highest murder rate among developed nations at about 0.042802 per 1,000 people. And America has the highest incarceration rate in the world. 2.1 million are behind bars (jail or prison), 4 million are on probation,725,527 are on parole. More Americans are imprisoned than the total number of citizens imprisoned in 57 different countries around the world. It is crazy…..

Posted by: childish on December 14, 2005 12:01 PM

Interesting... according to this site (http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=12&did=169) the states without death penalties have significantly lower murder rates than those with. Does correlation equal causation, or no?

Posted by: Laura on December 14, 2005 01:21 PM

having just taken a final with a large section on correlations and causations. i know that correlation doesn't equal causation. it's possible but not always true.

Posted by: childish on December 14, 2005 02:46 PM