« A Nation of Pharisees | Main | the new boysetsfire album »

January 23, 2006

The Calm Before a Storm

Hey everybody. What's up? I know that things have been really slow around here for The Look Machine, so I wanted to let you all know what is going on. It would be easy to assume from the lack of shows and the slow weblog that TLM is hibernating for the winter. This couldn't be further from the truth.

You see, we thought that Ian was going to be in Ghana for the winter, but as it turns out, he is not. Having already scheduled a time with no shows so that Ian could go away, we found ourselves with a couple of free winter months. We decided to make the most of our time as a band and finish a full-length album.

That's right, we are recording and we will actually be releasing our first full-length album very soon. We are all very excited because we have been together writing music, playing shows, and entertaining ourselves with this weblog for a couple of years now. Producing a real CD will feel like such a tremendous accomplishment.

We have written 24 (I think) songs together, so it was tough to decide what to put on the album, but we have pared it down to our favorite 11. Over this past month we have been practicing, practicing, practicing. With plenty of (constructive) criticism of each other's parts, and with the generous help of our manager, Josh as well as Nathan from BSF, we have taken our songs and deconstructed them. We then put them back together piece by piece keeping the parts we love already, throwing out those we do not love, and writing new parts that tie everything together. After weeks of work, we are all very proud of what we have built together. Every part is planned and special in some unique way. We are ready to go into the studio and start recording tomorrow. With lots of hard work, and good fortune, our debut album should be available this spring.

Thank you all for your patience. Remember, good things come to those who wait.

Posted by collin on January 23, 2006 10:42 PM

Comments

in equally exciting news.

Shane has a fog machine too.

Posted by: jason - band member on January 23, 2006 11:58 PM

You sure that is equal to a full length album? Maybe.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on January 24, 2006 12:30 AM

I'm taking this to be the calm before a storm of comments.

Posted by: Ian on January 24, 2006 02:25 PM

Yo. Sounds good. Exciting times.

Would y'all have an interest in playing PSU sometime in March? I may have an opportunity for you - I'll keep you posted.

Posted by: jd on January 24, 2006 02:29 PM

I think Josh still wants a Godly wife...

Posted by: Anonymous on January 24, 2006 03:47 PM

WTF?

Posted by: Anonymous on January 24, 2006 05:11 PM

I'm interested!

Posted by: ian on January 24, 2006 05:24 PM

yay! cool!

Posted by: sha'uri on January 24, 2006 05:58 PM

yay! cool!

Posted by: sha'uri on January 24, 2006 05:58 PM

can't wait! Do you guys have a "official" date yet?
you know.... I see more and more kids at my school talking about BSF and wearing their shirts...thats so cool! soon it'll be The look machine shirts! ^_^

Posted by: Poncho on January 24, 2006 08:11 PM

We don't have an official release date yet, but we will keep you posted. We are going to have a CD release party with a show and all of our friends, so stay tuned to find out more on that.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on January 25, 2006 08:04 AM

I read somewhere on the internet you guys would be covering Maggie May by Rod Stewart, is there any truth to that? : )

Posted by: Jack on January 25, 2006 08:24 AM

Alright, who's the leak!?!?! That was supposed to be TOP secret.

Posted by: Collin - band member on January 25, 2006 09:02 AM

i can't wait until your new albulm!

Posted by: SaRgEnTmE on January 25, 2006 10:49 AM

Speaking of storms, there was a lightning snowstorm here last night!

Posted by: Shane on January 25, 2006 12:29 PM

It was awesome, right? Talk about random...

The Counting Crows have a cool cover of that song,Maggie May. Have you heard it? Melissa Etheridge and Blur covered it too I think... and now TLM! It must be a good one :) I'm excited to hear it.

Posted by: Laura on January 25, 2006 04:51 PM

I wish the CD release party was closer to NY lolz but who knows maybe I can go whenever it is.... Good luck guys!

Posted by: Poncho on January 25, 2006 10:26 PM

i saw the lightenng too! outside a hospital window.

Posted by: SaRgEnTmE on January 25, 2006 11:29 PM

YO!!!!!!!!! I'll wait for them [ TLM'S SoNGS ] until they come!!!

I wish the CD release party come to my country too^^.

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on January 26, 2006 04:50 AM

m_rock_magical,

I have been to thailand twice and I loved it. I would really like to come back again. If The Look Machine came, could we play a lot of shows there? Do you know of good clubs for us to play in?

Posted by: Collin - band member on January 26, 2006 09:49 AM

Posted by: that'sweird on January 26, 2006 02:35 PM

Posted by: yo on January 26, 2006 02:36 PM

Which 11 songs are you putting on the album?

Posted by: iluvtlm on January 26, 2006 02:37 PM

With my wife I don't get no respect. I made a toast on her birthday to 'the best woman a man ever had.' The waiter joined me.

Its been a rough day. I got up this morning ... put on a shirt and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.

I went to see my doctor. "Doctor, every morning when I get up and look in the mirror... I feel like throwing up. What's wrong with me?" He said, "I don't know, but your eyesight is perfect."

I had plenty of pimples as a kid. One day I fell asleep in the library. When I woke up, a blind man was reading my face.

Rodney Dangerfield

Posted by: Anonymous on January 26, 2006 02:38 PM

No. This will not be a place to randomly quote Rodney Dangerfield. Use your own myspace page for that. Especially if the quotes aren't funny at all.

Posted by: Xerxes on January 27, 2006 12:32 AM

first post from xerxes and quite grumpy! He must be sad that he had to leave his wife in oklahoma!

Posted by: Anonymous on January 27, 2006 12:41 AM

WOWOWOWOWOWO!!! you [MUST] come here! ^^ and You can play many many many songs if you want if there's not anyone want to hear your songs but ME! I'm the one who will be there to listen all of your songs!!:) Ummmmm.....I don't think that i know about the club so much:( buti know the place if you really want to come i'll tell you " Come to my school!" :D but if you want to go at some club then i'll contact them for you if i can:)
LOve, Best Whishes
+Aom+ TLM'S Fan

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on January 27, 2006 04:31 AM

You know what? :D I opened TLM'S songs at my school's festival today ^^ So FUN!! i sang and danced with your songs :D and everyone saw me, i think they thought that i'm crazy or something like that , lol but i don't care! :D *my another friends were gone then i didn't have anyone to dance with me.lol so, I was crazy alone~ oh!with my sleeped friend.:D

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on January 27, 2006 05:28 AM

That's awesome! I want to come and dance with you next time :) I just wish Thailand was cheaper to fly to (or maybe I wish I was rich and impulsive).

Posted by: Laura on January 27, 2006 09:03 AM

Wow! Yes, Thailand is cheaper than America. :D

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on January 27, 2006 09:29 AM

Oh!, thank you Laura :) then i'll have friend to dance RoCk song with me^^

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on January 27, 2006 09:32 AM

Oh!, thank you Laura :) then i'll have friend to dance RoCk song with me^^ I hope it will be true in one day.

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on January 27, 2006 09:33 AM

Mr./Mrs. "that'sweird,"

You asked,
"Do bandmates usually constructively criticize each other's parts or are you guys especially close...?"

Well, assuming that you mean parts of songs, yes, we do all give input. And, we are quite close. In my opinion, the closer you are, the more right you have to give input.

Posted by: Shane - Band Member on January 27, 2006 11:26 AM

And as far as the other "parts" that you were insinuating... that's just Drew who wants to do that. It makes us all uncomfortable every time he suggests it.

Posted by: Collin - band member on January 27, 2006 11:30 AM

Don't fight your feelings, Collin. You ALL know that you want to . . .

Posted by: Xerxes on January 27, 2006 11:01 PM

Xerxes is wrong. I LOL'd at those Rodney Dangerfield quotes. LOL'd I tell ya!

Posted by: jayson on January 28, 2006 10:53 AM

Any random crap.
Rodney Dangerfield, good.

Posted by: Anonymous on January 28, 2006 12:08 PM

Collin, I wasn't insinuating anything, but now I am highly offended. I hope you never try to come to my house, because I would not let you in. You have a potty mind.

Posted by: that'sweird on February 2, 2006 09:23 PM