« March 3rd Basement Show | Main | Drew's Band Member Profile »

February 17, 2006

Call the Cops!

So... I was driving the other day, minding my own business (for once).
Believe it or not, I was not honking at anybody, not braking to frighten
tailgaters (the scum of the earth)... I was just driving.

I was cruising down the road lost in my own little world (like always)
when somthing in a car ahead of me caught my eye. There were two people
in the car, a man and a woman, and the woman was positively flipping out.
I could see that she was angry and screaming. She was shaking her fists,
and I couldn't see if she was hitting the dude or just going all out with
her yelling.

Well, I was feeling a little bad for the guy. He just sat there taking it
and never even turned towards the woman. My feelings started changing
pretty quickly though when I saw the woman getting more and more frantic.
I had no idea what was going on.

We pulled up to a redlight, and the woman went to make a break for it.
She grabbed the handle of the door and started tugging at it, but the dude
locked it. She rolled down the window and reached out flailing for the
handle, as if it would be unlocked from the outside.

My heart started pounding, and I felt like I had to do something, so I
started following them. I grabbed my cell phone and called 911.

"Hey I'd like to report something that looks a lot like an abduction."

"OK, let me patch you through to the State Police."

"Hey I'd like to report something that looks a lot like an abduction, it
might just be a fight, but it looks pretty bad."

"OK sir, what makes you think it might be an abduction?"

I told him what I'd seen, I gave him the make, model, and tag numbers of
the car, and I felt a little sick.

"Thank you sir, we'll get an officer on that right away." There was an
urgency in his voice that made me believe him.

I did A u-turn. What was going on? Was it ann abduction? Was it a fight?

I don't know, but I saw the woman crying, and suddenly I felt very bad for
calling the police. For crying out loud, it was valentines and they were
already having a horrible day. To top it off, they were African American
and it happened on the way into Elkton, a town known for its racism.

The way I figured it was this, if the dude was innocent, the cops might
give him a hard time, but then hopefully things would work out fine for
the two of them. However, if he was actually abducting her and I didn't
call the police, that's no joke.

Posted by ian on February 17, 2006 01:33 AM

Comments

I thought you would all be happy to have a post without music.

Posted by: Ian on February 17, 2006 01:36 AM

Okay, here is an idea...Keifer Sutherland (the awesome actor and producer of the show 24), along with his best friend (a musician whose name escapes me ), have a small label committed to developing rock and roll bands. I heard him talk about it on a talk show and he seemed for real--talked about the need for labels to really develop a band over the long run rather than just churning out hits or else. Anyway, Lifehouse is signed with them and he mentioned people sending demos...Well, I thought of the Look Machine, of course! The label is called Ironworks and is based in LA. Check them out, send them your awesome music, and maybe they will sign you. Sounds so simple...Anyway, just a thought.

Posted by: Jessica on February 17, 2006 02:04 AM

Don't feel bad about calling. What if the situation did need the police to be contacted and you did nothing? Better off a false alarm than the something actually happening and nothing being done about it.

Posted by: Jack on February 17, 2006 07:11 AM

You should have pulled him out of the car at a stop light, picked him up by his shirt collar, and calmly asked him to respect the lady. That's what I would have done.

Posted by: Xerxes [TypeKey Profile Page] on February 17, 2006 08:49 AM

You shoulda just beat the sh!t out of em and saved us the work.

Posted by: The cops on February 17, 2006 06:19 PM

thanks alot ian. my lawyer will be in touch with you. next time do a little research before you call the cops.

Posted by: unidentified male on February 17, 2006 11:46 PM

I think you did the right thing because when i was going to a concert, we saw a girl flipping out and yelling and the guy slapped her...
we should of called the cops...i just feel like it was not right and when you dont feel like its right then go with it.

female intuition which you have plenty of ian :)

Posted by: Poncho on February 18, 2006 12:41 AM