« Drew's Band Member Profile | Main | Kind of funny. »

February 18, 2006

Discuss, please!

OK, so what is up with everybody hating on emo these days? I'm constantly hearing people griping about how horrible it is, how much it drives them crazy... People are finding our website by searching for things like "emo kid jokes" and "emo disses."

I love emo! This makes me sad. Do you think it's headed the way of 80's metal? Why all the hate?

Posted by ian on February 18, 2006 12:38 AM

Comments

80's metal rocks.

Posted by: jason on February 18, 2006 01:20 AM

:D

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on February 18, 2006 05:01 AM

i love when people say they hate emo because that is just saying they hate emotional music, which is every kind in my opinion. people are hating on what is called emo in the media but is actually just record company created crap that people have a hard time connecting with. maybe people want something more than to "dance, dance?"

Posted by: joshua Latshaw on February 18, 2006 09:52 AM

it's not so much of people hating on "emo" music...it's the kids who are classified as being "emo" i see over here. Sometimes they're joking but there are some who seriously hate kids labeled as that. They even called me emo because my bangs cover my face.
Personally I never label anyone because i think it's never true but those who do are usually tend to be people who are labeled themselves.
Maybe everyone should just stop thinking so literally because if everyone thought in terms of genres, everyone would hate each other. And thinking like that, who can like "emo" kids because we all know they're all "whinny little kids who cry all the time and listen to connor oberst and cut themselves"

yea...i really don't like labels. And if they have nothing better to do than to make a song and crap about emo kids, then they need to get a life and move on. There are better things to do than to make jokes about everyone on your computer.

Posted by: Poncho on February 19, 2006 07:14 PM

because a lot of emo overabuses emotion to simply emote about oneself... it thus it becomes the worse kind of navel-gazing. because, like any other movement, it has attracted a lot of artificiality.

btw, i'm really excited for the upcoming album!

Posted by: jd on February 20, 2006 04:16 PM

Earlier today I was emoting some strong emotion. I was in the middle of taking a very pleasant nap on campus, when I was so unpleasantly awoken. I opened my eyes to find Ian leaning in to give me a kiss on the forehead. Though the actual kiss was rather soft, sincere, loving, enjoyable, it was a traumatic experience.

Posted by: childish on February 20, 2006 06:15 PM

I would say that the appleseed cast is the best emo band ever. Them, and Dear Ephesus.

They were like the first emo ever, and the best, I think.

Posted by: Shane on February 20, 2006 07:21 PM

no, sunny day real estate, actually... (were the first, in many ways)

you should send me some dear ephesus music - i've heard they were phenomenal, but never heard the actual music

Posted by: jd on February 21, 2006 12:16 AM

Brag warning:

I played a show with dear ephesus and appleseed cast. It was fantastically fun. They were all great guys.

Bragging over.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on February 21, 2006 12:47 AM

Ugh..emo...the word makes vomit creep up my throat. Thoughts of melodramatic BS bands like Dashboard Confessional...My Chemical Romace...Dirty Little Secret pussies...Fall Out Boy. It's all the same, prepackaged BS. Record companies grab hold of a trend that the teen girls love and they beat it to death.

Phony looking comb-overs on the boys. Hot Topic girls who want to look "different." Such a joke. I'm sorry, but I'll stick to my Talking Heads collection. Now THAT'S some music!

Posted by: Mike M. on February 25, 2006 09:07 PM