« The New Album (Title To Be Decided) | Main | A thought (or maybe it's two) »

February 24, 2006

Pet Peeve of the Day: Electric Scooters

I need to vent about something. After being nearly run off the sidewalk here in sunny Disney World multiple times . . .

051230_JazzyWheelie_hsmall.standard.jpg

There are way too many people riding electric scooters now.

Way. Too. Many.

I understand that these large annoying beasts have their place. For very old people. And very handicapped people. But really, those are the only 2 people that should be riding these things around when you could -- neigh, should -- be walking.

It seems now though that people only slightly older and / or slightly overweight are giving up one of the few advantages we have over the rest of the animal kingdom -- WALKING -- and eagerly giving into this Jabba-the-Huttish tendency of just sitting and be moved around without any exersion at all.

They are so rude too, laying on their tinny horns, acting as if they are cars driving on highways and we are mere pedestrians who stumbled into their domain.

Hey scooter-people! This is a sidewalk! I don't need to wait for you to pass at a top speed of 2.4 MPH before I cross your path. You may think I won't be able to make it, but I promise you, I am not a 3 toed sloth. I will be able to pass without a collosion. I promise you. So stop beeping at me and giving me that sour face.

They congregate in gangs. I'm not lying, like motorcyle gangs, only on these beeping electric scooters, driving 6 wide to terrorize the walking among us. And then -- if that's not bad enough -- they roll on up to the front of the line, past all the walking people (usually surrounded by an entourage numbering into the teens), because goodness knows they can't stand in line with the rest of us. No, their feet couldn't handle it.

(While I'm on a rant, I might as well also mention the group of "handicapped hanger-oners" who seem to only go to amusement parks with handicapped people so that they can go to the front of the line. One time I saw these 3 (normal, healthy) irate women yelling at a Disney employee because a particular ride was not "wheel-chair special entry." In other words, the regular line could accomodate wheelchairs, so those in wheelchairs had to wait (in their wheelchairs), in line, like everyone else. They had a severely mentally challenged person with them, in a wheelchair, and they just refused to get into the normal line. "What in the world are we going to tell him!" They asked, and pointed to their companion. Who was picking his nose, eating it, and then said "I don't want to go on this ride! I told you!" People! Handicapped people are not "Go to the front of the line passes"! Don't treat them as such.)

Again, I'm not talking about the very old or the very immobile. Of course a scooter is a God send for them. I'm talking about little-Ms-I-weigh-40-pounds-too-much-so-the-solution-to-that-problem-is-to-give-up
-all-physical-activity-while-stuffing-my-face-with-mickey-popsicles-and-foot-long-hotdogs.

Maybe.. . maybe. .. part of the problem is that you no longer walk. Think about that! You no longer walk from here to there.

Look. I know that a day at Disney is exhausting. My feet are sore too. Maybe. . .sometimes, I might like to glide around the park on my own electrically powered chariot, beeping at all the walking people who deign to get within 10 feet of my majestic transport. But hey, it was a big day when I learned how to walk. I'm not ready to forfeit that skill just yet.

To sum up this rant, I shall share with you a battle, an epic war that Darby witnessed while attempting to rent a stroller at Epcot. A mildly overweight woman and a very old handicapped man had unfortunately both been promised the LAST SCOOTER in the park (yes, they were OUT OF THEM, that's how many people are now buzzing around on these things). In between haranguing the manager for not having enough scooters for the parkgoers and insisting that she would get the scooter no matter what, she kept telling the poor old man that she was promised the scooter first, and he would just have to deal with it.

Managers after managers were called, the problem was discussed, until finally a resolution was reached.

And away she rolled on the last scooter. . . gleefully beeping at the walkers, on her way to the nearest ice cream stand.

I swear, it's gotten so bad that now when I see a somewhat overweight or older person actually walking in the park, I want to kiss them full in the mouth and just congratulate them for not succumbing to the scooter pressure just yet. Really, bravo!

PS. I've been complaining about this all week. And yesterday I call home to find out that my younger brother – who had a serious knee injury last month – scooted around Costo the other day in on of these electric scooters. Pretty funny.

Posted by jason on February 24, 2006 09:09 PM

Comments

electric scooters are for fat people.... i should get one for my brother then.

but yea i agree with you on the people although sometimes i wish i was one of the people in them because scooters are too awesome.

The happiest day ever was when i broke my leg and they let me ride a electric scooter.

Posted by: Poncho on February 24, 2006 10:52 PM

That's cool! :D

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on February 25, 2006 03:59 AM

That was your happiest day? Hmmm, it was OK riding around Costco but slightly embarrassing and my kids could easily ourrun me! Jason, I feel your pain. The epidemic of laziness is getting so bad -- when people are fighting for their comfort at the expense of old men who actually need a little assistance. I wonder how that woman would feel if that old man had a stroke or worse during his day at Disney all cause she wanted to continue her lifestlye of non-exertion! Poor old man!

Posted by: brokenkneeguy on February 25, 2006 08:13 AM

Oh, it wasn't that bad. I just found that lady, knifed her in the back, and then sped away with MY scooter. Septuagenarians Rule!!!

Posted by: The Old Man on February 25, 2006 05:20 PM

This rant may be your best yet! You just made my Monday that much better.

Posted by: Erin on February 27, 2006 10:04 AM

At least someone is cheered up by your grumpy mofuggerness.

Posted by: scooter king on February 27, 2006 10:23 AM

where have all the look machine gone?

Posted by: jack on February 28, 2006 12:16 PM

2 of us are in Seattle. The others are still mixing.

Posted by: jason on February 28, 2006 01:06 PM

you spelled neigh like the sound a horse makes which makes the first paragraph very funny. i think you meant nay.

Posted by: joshua Latshaw on March 1, 2006 01:21 PM

Posted by: joshua Latshaw on March 1, 2006 01:21 PM

O man, I about fell off my chair laughing. I bumped into your post by accident. My family just got back from Disney world, and I have been ranting about the same thing. Seriously, I've been asking the question... If you are not disabled enough to own one/bring one yourself, why do you need to rent one at the park?

Posted by: Mike on January 29, 2007 08:41 PM

Why visitors still make use of to read news papers when in this technological world the whole thing is accessible on web?

Posted by: Becky Klose on June 16, 2012 08:53 AM

You've become noted particularly unique facts! ps decent web page.

Posted by: Louann Seferovic on June 18, 2012 02:44 PM

Hi there buddy, what a quality is! For this YouTube video, I am really impressed, because I have never seen fastidious quality YouTube video before,

Posted by: Tod Tretheway on June 18, 2012 05:23 PM

I don’t even know the way I finished up right here, however I assumed this put up was once good. I don't know who you're however definitely you're going to a famous blogger in case you are not already ;) Cheers!

Posted by: Fred Jerez on June 20, 2012 08:28 PM

Excellent goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're just too wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous website.

Posted by: Elodia Fiallos on June 21, 2012 08:50 PM

One thing I'd really like to comment on is that fat burning plan fast can be achieved by the appropriate diet and exercise. Someone's size not merely affects appearance, but also the entire quality of life. Self-esteem, melancholy, health risks, in addition to physical skills are afflicted in an increase in weight. It is possible to do everything right and at the same time having a gain. In such a circumstance, a medical problem may be the offender. While an excessive amount of food instead of enough workout are usually at fault, common health concerns and widespread prescriptions can certainly greatly increase size. Thanks for your post right here.

Posted by: Daren Wheeley on July 10, 2012 06:26 AM

I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever... Tablet Deals

Posted by: Tablet Deals on February 15, 2013 05:42 PM

I¡¦ve been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i¡¦m glad to express that I have a very excellent uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I so much definitely will make certain to don¡¦t disregard this web site and provides it a glance regularly.

Posted by: Donovan Mugford on April 18, 2013 07:08 AM

I don't drop many remarks, however after looking at a ton of comments on The Look Machine: Pet Peeve of the Day: Electric Scooters. I do have a few questions for you if it's okay. Could it be just me or do some of these remarks look like they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting at other places, I'd like to follow you. Would you make a list of all of all your social networking pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

Posted by: foraje apa brasov on June 26, 2013 06:27 PM

It¡¦s really a great and helpful piece of information. I¡¦m satisfied that you shared this useful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: Theron Urteaga on July 7, 2013 05:51 PM