« North Star Bar Show -- Sold Out | Main | Sexiest Band in Philadelphia »

March 06, 2006

Rundown of the last two nights

March 4th at the Garage.
On my birthday, I attended a nice wedding, which we had to leave early to head to Kennett for what was hopefully going to be a great show. Uh oh.

When we get there things are cool enough. Pretty nice crowd, seems to be interested in the music being played, good piano led music by corin joel.

We duck into the bathroom to change out of our wedding attire, and all of the machine are in there for a while. We talk about stuff, laught, nothing much. Come back out, eat a little pizza, get ready for our show, which should be starting in 30 minutes, since it is 8.30 and we start at 9.

At 6.45 a man in a red hoody approaches me with an unfriendly look on his face. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" I follow him as he makes his way to the bathroom. Drew tags along.

He waves his arm around the bathroom, ending with a vague point towards a bucket of cleaning supplies, "Was this bottle here when your band was in here?"

I look towards the bucket and see about 5-6 bottles of cleaning supplies. I have no idea if they were here before, what is this, Highlights magazine with its "what's different" picture puzzle? I say, unconvincingly. . . . "No. . . oooo.. . .oooo... . . I don't think so, maybe. I don't know."

Then I notice what has him so agitated. A broken bottle of Corona lays on the floor with beer scattered all around the room. I quickly try to amend what I now realize probably sounded like a pretty suspicious answer. "Oh, if you mean this broken bottle of beer, I can tell you that if it was in here when we were in here, it wasn't broken at that time." Now I realize that I probably sound like Bill Clinton parsing words so that I can lie without lying. And I can tell the dude thinks that we were responsible. The Garage is owned by a church and is meant to be used for Youth Groups, by the way.

Which is very strange, considering that I've had exactly one sip of beer in my entire life, from my dad one time, and I hated it and avoid alchohol like the plague.

"Can you get the rest of your band in here please?" We all herd into this small room with broken glass and puddles of beer so he can interrogate us. The others actually see the broken bottle and answer more negatively from the onset. He leaves us alone. Once he's safely out of earshot, Collin remarks that if we really were a rock band partying in the bathroom, we'd probably have more than one small bottle of Corona among the 5 of us, passing it around for sips to get ready for our show.

Speaking of the show, we're ready. We get up on the stage. The red hoody man approaches us again. "Hold on, please don't play now, I have to sort this out first." He's moving from small group to small group, asking them all similar questions of everyone. I wonder if he expects that someone will just say, "Yeah that was me, oh is that a problem?"

10 minutes goes by. 15. People are leaving now. Maybe freaked out by the Spanish Inquisition they are facing. Argh.

"Can we play now?" I ask.

"Just a minute." He replies.

He gathers all the adults and takes them into a back room. To talk about the crushed beer bottle.

Another 10 minutes passes. Finally he says we can start.

And we do, and we're playing well, and it's good. But it's late, and honestly, there aren't as many people there as there were before. And people are leaving. Of course, there are those staying and listening. But still, those people who leave. . . .

Then the technical difficulties set in. Ian's amp finks out and we play an intro to a song for about 4 minutes while trying to fix it. Then a keyboard we had been planning on using had been packed up by the band before us and they left. (thanks for the support fellas). Then Ian's delay affect mysteriously breaks and seriously wounds a song that relies on it. Then Collin's guitar just stops working. And the show is over.

Hurray. Nice birthday present. . . . on the bright side, we sounded good. But for me, we've been working on this album which sounds honestly quite good and I think that subconsciously my expectations for the shows had risen because of it. And this was just a very disappointing night, to see people walking away while we played.

March 5th, North Star Bar
This bitter night weighs on me as we prepare for opening the CD Release Show for Boy Sets Fire. Having a sucky show in a backwoods youth group center is one thing - opening a sold out show in Philadelphia is quite another. We try to make our set "affect-proof" by only picking songs that play straight guitars and distortion.

At 7.15, we start playing (which by the way did kind of stink because some of our fans from New Jersey had called the club and been told that we would start at 7.30, so they only saw one song.) And wonder of wonders, people are listening. And people are kind of in to it. And we sound good, and we work our way through a 30 minute 6 song set without many problems. (Our best song at this time was too slow for some reason, I missed a couple of high notes late in the set. On Simpler then it Seems a strange thing timing happened towards the end), but overall we gave a high energy set that sounded good and people enjoyed.

It was just what we needed to wash away that bitter bad show taste. After the show a number of people told me that we rocked, and we even got a small write-up online that said,

i thought it was fucking RIDICULOUS, every opening band was good (blackthroat wore on the nerves a bit after the first two songs), the look machine was great and piss and vinegar had a great soung

That's pretty cool because he wasn't just showering around the opening band praise. In fact, we got a great shout out if you ask me. Blackthroat wore on him after a while. PissnVinegar had a great sound, but he thought we were great all around. Very cool.

Again, we thank Boy Sets Fire for this opportunity, and they put on such an excellent show it was amazing. Buy their CD, it's awesome.

Posted by jason on March 6, 2006 11:02 AM

Comments

I'm glad the second one went well! :-D *Feliz CumpleaƱos* jase

Posted by: sha'uri on March 6, 2006 12:17 PM

You guys did an AMAZING job, at the North Star especially; one of the best shows yet! I was glad to be there sporting my look machine hoodie!!

Just for the record, I think the dude's P and V comment "great soung" would probably interpret "great sounD" and not song... just sticking up for my band Piss and Vinegar, ok? (blah)

Brett Webber quote: "what? It's Piss and Vinegar?! I thought Urine and Lemon Juice was playing tonight... I'm leaving."

Posted by: Laura on March 6, 2006 01:01 PM

Laura -- I agree with you on the soung meaning sound, so I updated the post.

Posted by: jason on March 6, 2006 01:59 PM

yo, that was me who left that comment on the bsf board

and seriously, you guys kicked ass, the best of the three openers for sure...that acoustic song at the end, holy crap, and i got to talk to the guitarist outside after the show, shit i can't remember his name i'm sorry! great dude

here's to hoping you guys stop by jersey (or better yet, a basement show in new brunswick!)...peace!

Posted by: Dan Perrone on March 6, 2006 02:51 PM

I really wanted to make it to the BSF show with you guys, but we had a surprise party for my brothers bday

one of these days i'll actually make it to a show

Posted by: jaysonjaz on March 6, 2006 06:30 PM

sorry to hear about your misfortunes on saturday. the whole situation with the beer bottle was out of control.

and i'm guessing some of your post was directed at us - just to clarify, we had wives and brought kids who needed to be home. we're not even really a band, we just threw it together for this show, and we aren't living much of a rockstar life anymore.

my bass player and i stuck around for the majority of your set, as long as we could, and no one talked to me about using my keyboard. i'm sorry if there were any misunderstandings or we offended you at all.

anyway, you guys have something going on, keep it up.

Posted by: corin on March 6, 2006 11:16 PM

ah corin, no hard feelings at all, I was joking about the support. . . . and I know noone asked about the piano, we kind of just thought that there would be one because you played one (and quite well too). it was a stinky night, but not even 1% of that had anything to do with you. I mean, we weren't there from the start, so we weren't exactly supportive either.

we'd love to play with you another time actually.

Posted by: jason on March 6, 2006 11:21 PM

just wanted to make it clear, I'm sorry for making any dig about the support at all. I totally appreciate you staying to hear anything. and you guys are really good. I was quite impressed.

Posted by: jason on March 6, 2006 11:31 PM

'O'

That was good on the second day!

The Look Machine can pass all the difficulties!

I believe!

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on March 7, 2006 05:01 AM

I'd just like to make it clear that there are no hard feeling towards anybody. We were a little disapointed with the night, but we're not mad at anybody. Corin, you have some awesome music and I totally understand having to cut out early! Red hoodie man, I know you're nice usually. Just had a bad night.

Posted by: Ian on March 8, 2006 11:36 AM

Just so you guys know I was at the show at the north star bar and I thought you guys were really great. I have been listening to your stuff for a while and I am really impressed. You have a good tight sound and it is an original sound too. And I know when people say original they are normally saying it in a bad way. I however am not. You guys put together a good sound with tight riffs and really it is music for the ears.
As for the performance in general I have to say I was impressed. Good stage pressence and you looked like you were having fun up there. That was the one thing about Blackthroat and Piss and Vinegar that kinda turned me off they just seemed to be going through the motions. While the crowd was small when you played (which people who came late really did miss a good set) you had energy and that made a difference to me.
I always enjoy new bands and seeing you for the first time I must say I got a good feeling about you guys. I would definitely come to another show just to see you guys. Now that I have sufficiently stroked your egos I will simply say this...You guys ROCK!

Posted by: Jagang on March 8, 2006 12:18 PM

you guys were really good, kudos... but boysetsfire was freakin amazing. i can't believe jason was in the pit with that winter coat on, anything to be cool, i guess.

Posted by: childish on March 8, 2006 03:40 PM

anything to avoid skin on skin contact with sweaty men, you mean.

Posted by: jason on March 8, 2006 03:47 PM

Jagang and Dan -

Thanks so much for the encouragement, You play enough disinterested shows and you start to think that noone listens to the music anymore, so it's so gratifying to know that you heard what we were trying to do. Thanks loads, we all appreciate it more than you probably know.

Posted by: jason on March 8, 2006 05:44 PM