« New Song | Main | Around for at least another year. »

April 21, 2006

Out Of Gas

All of the gas stations in this area are out of gas. I don't mean like they don't have regular or something. I mean they are pumped dry!!!

out_of_gas.jpg

There is a road in Newark with about 8 or 9 gas stations on it. Every single one is COMPLETELY empty. Lindsay just took our car to try to get gas at another gas station just north of town. OUT OF GAS. She called me to see what she should do. I told her to keep going. She went to the sunoco that is about 8 miles out of town. NOTHING. She continued on to the next place. STILL NOTHING. On and on she went.

Finally, in a small town about 15 miles north of Newark, she found one place with a little bit of ultra high octane gas left. She was able to fill up, so she didn't run out, but what on earth is going on? Is this a new trend we will see continue?

Posted by collin on April 21, 2006 04:44 PM

Comments

Just found this.

Posted by: Collin - band member on April 21, 2006 05:01 PM

And 2 more very informative articles.

#1

#2

Basically, due to President Bush's energy bill, we are switching to a new kind of gas. There are major shortages here on the east coast because, #1 it has to be shipped differently and the shipping is not going well, and #2 the tanks all have to be emptied and then cleaned out so as not to interact badly with the new gas.

Posted by: Collin - band member on April 21, 2006 05:18 PM

I was driving back from New York today and I had to stop for gas on the good ol' NJ Turnpike.

An hour later, I was back on the road.

Why can't NJ just let people pump their own gas? Instead, they let some unwashed miscreant slowly amble around the four pumps that he's assigned, pumping gas when he feels like it, and picking his nose the rest of the time when there are lines ten cars deep.

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I had to vent.

Posted by: Xerxes [TypeKey Profile Page] on April 22, 2006 12:46 AM

Not good news for the world. :(

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on April 22, 2006 01:27 AM

I've got enough gas to solve any imaginable shortage.

Posted by: Refried on April 22, 2006 08:14 AM

So, are you upset that Bush signed a bill that is better for the environment? Ethanol won't leak into our drinking water like the MTBE will. Don't you think this is a good thing? Any transition period to make the switch will be tricky. It just has to run it's course.

Posted by: kt on April 22, 2006 10:47 AM

I'm in support of almost any change to improve the environment.

I would gladly have high prices and a few shortages if it means we'll have cleaner water.

Posted by: Ian on April 22, 2006 11:14 AM

hey, just wanted to let you know that all of thursday's new album can be heard on its myspace site. yippee

Posted by: Anonymous on April 22, 2006 07:02 PM

KT,
Not upset. Just giving the facts. I didn't know why there were shortages, I researched it a bit and learned that it was a transition resulting from a policy signed into effect by George Bush. I thought that was interesting. That's all.

I love this world and I agree with Ian. Just about anything to help the environment is fine by me. I still am of the opinion that gas should cost us twice what it does.

We shall see if this change is good. I know that the switch was because of MTBE leaking into the groundwater. I am glad to see an end to that, but MTBE also is an oxygenator that caused gas to burn more efficiently thus saving money at the pumps and decreasing air pollution. I guess trying the new mix is just about finding the lesser of the 2 evils. We shall see how it plays out over time. Maybe it is a good step. I don't know enough about it yet to make that call.

Posted by: Collin - Band Member on April 22, 2006 11:58 PM

I was driving the other day, and I ran out of gas. i was farting and farting and then i ran out of gas and i proceeded to poop my pants. i hold bush and his foolish oil war responsible. Bush should be blamed for everything that goes wrong in this country. I love john Kerry!!!!! Heinz in 08!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous on April 23, 2006 12:05 AM

Most people also don't realize that most cars made before, I believe it's 2004 will have problems after running on gas with ethanol in it after about 6 months. From what I hear, gas will be around 4 dollars a gallon by the 4th of July. And before you say, don't complain because it's so much more expensive in other countries and that we've been paying so little for so long. But other countries pay more for varying reasons. Also, our society is structured so that most people are dependent on their own transportation. Unless you live and work in a city, NYC for example, a majority of places in the US don't have a good enough public transportation system to be able to rely on that and not own a car. Think at the effect this is going to have on travelling. Touring bands are going to get hit pretty hard this summer.

Maybe instead of spending large amounts of money to drill in reserves we should be using that money to seek a viable alternative to fossil fuels.

Posted by: Jack on April 23, 2006 11:29 AM

yea up here in NY it's around 3 dollars and it keeps rising everyday so alot of people are just using public transportation but i also heard that the prices for buses has gone up too.
To help the environment, yea it's all a good idea but the high prices will stay for awhile. So i agree with Jack we should be trying to find an alternative energy supply and one where it would be fairly decent to switch to.

Oh yea Mr.X is right too. There's no point for NJ to not be self-serve. My dad hates it too so when he's in NJ he just gets out and pumps his own gas until they come and yell at him :)

Posted by: Poncho on April 23, 2006 12:56 PM

The pro ethanol side of the story:

"Adding ethanol to gasoline increases the octane number - a measure of the fuel's resistance to pre-ignition or engine "knock." As well, ethanol contains oxygen, which allows for cleaner and more complete combustion. This in turn helps the environment."

"All cars made since the 1970s can use a fuel with up to 10 percent ethanol. "

"Ethanol helps maintain cleaner engines and helps clean out the fuel-injection systems. Since ethanol can loosen contaminants and residues in the fuel system, this may require changing your vehicle's fuel filter more often"

Got it from here,

Posted by: Ian on April 23, 2006 02:18 PM

Xerxes -- blame the gas pumping unions in NJ. They won. If the toll-taker unions had won against EZ-Pass, you'd be really really really upset that you would have to touch the hand of a miscreant after waiting in a toll line miles upon miles long.

I think TLM should have a hidden track on their album and call it 'Touched by a Miscreant.'

Posted by: Anonymous on April 29, 2006 12:37 AM