« Are you Worthy? | Main | Wii - erd!? »

April 27, 2006

Protest

Monday May 1st is a national day of protest called "A day without an Immigrant." People are being encouraged to skip out of work, school, or whatever they normally do and just stay home. Most importantly though, people are being asked to not buy anything.

I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but there is some really serious legislation concerning illegal immigrants that passed through the house and is in the Senate right now. If this legislation passes, it would mean some huge changes.

For instance, 12 million people who live and work in America would be declared felons and be deported, never to return again.

Anybody who houses or knowingly helps an illegal immigrant would be committing a felony.

America was built by immigrants and refugees.

Let's protest.

Posted by ian on April 27, 2006 05:05 PM

Comments

All of my ancestors came to this country legally.. is that too much to ask?

Posted by: jaysonjaz on April 27, 2006 09:00 PM

Yeah I have mixed feelings about this. . .

I think that you legalize those who who are here now with a one time amnesty and then require that people legally follow the rules for immigration, which should be fairly liberal.

Posted by: jason on April 27, 2006 09:12 PM

You know, I haven't talked to all of the 12 million illegals in America, but I don't doubt that they would be here legally if they could.

It is ridiculously hard to immigrate here!

I think it's a little bit crazy for a nation of immigrants to close the doors to other people who want a place to live and work then felonize and deport them if they don't have the right paperwork.

So Jaysonjaz, I think it might indeed be too much to ask.

Posted by: Ian on April 27, 2006 11:37 PM

"Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."

Give them to us so that we can arrest them, mistreat them, and send em' packin.

I know it's a really complicated issue, but honestly, most of our families have not been here for more than 3 or 4 generations. And, yeas, the job market is tough and gas prices are high, but we have so much more that so many other people in the world. It's ridiculous to say that there isn't enough to go around.

Posted by: Collin - band member on April 28, 2006 10:54 AM

Is this legislation more important that the availability of an incredibly cheap, exploitable work force that has no means to protect itself from the barbarous employment policies of the big produce houses?

So a couple of people here work 18 hour days for a couple bucks and are underreported for injuries on the job after having endured being crammed into a tractor trailer container to smuggle over the border... I say...at what price cheap oranges?

*note to those oblivious to sarcasm... think about it*

Posted by: Anonymous on April 29, 2006 12:28 AM

and the saddest thing is, oranges are still pretty expensive.

imagine if they picked ramen noodles, they would be paying you to eat them they'd be so cheap.

Posted by: jason on April 29, 2006 12:33 AM

Personally, I am not against illegal immigrants. I am against Mexicans. If these illegal immigrants were Japanese or German, I wouldn't mind at all because they'd help American cars not suck so much. Or if they were Canadians, they'd talk funny and help us be better at hockey.

But they're not Japanese or German or Canadian, they're all Mexicans. And Mexicans are short and smell like dirt. Boo Mexicans, I say. We have plenty of women to pick our oranges and do our housekeeping, we don't need Mexicans.

Go home, poco people. Illegally immigrate somewhere else.

Posted by: SnakeMan on April 29, 2006 01:06 AM

SnakeMan is an equal opportunity offender.

Posted by: Anonymous on April 29, 2006 01:10 AM

Mmmm... ramen

Posted by: Anonymous on April 29, 2006 01:14 AM

Snakeman is a racist prick. He might think he's funny, but his jokes reveal just how fucked up he is. Viva la Mexico.

Posted by: jerry on April 29, 2006 01:29 PM

My spidey sense tells me that Jerry is short and smells like dirt.

I am racist though. Sorry, Jer. I'll make it up to you somehow. Call me up if you ever need help reaching the top shelf.

Hey, here's a good Mexican joke:

Q. What did the Mexican say when the two houses fell on him?

A. Get off me, homes!

Posted by: SnakeMan on April 29, 2006 03:12 PM

Also, for the record, I'm Mexican.

Posted by: SnakeMan on April 29, 2006 03:14 PM

The issue here isn't imigrants or not. Obviously this is a country of immigrants, but thats not at all what the issue is about.. the issue is whether or not a country has a right to say who gets in and who doesnt...

Heres a bit of immigration law

• Foreigners with fake papers, or who enter the country under false pretenses, may be imprisoned

• Foreigners with fake immigration papers may be fined or imprisoned. (Article 116)

• Foreigners who sign government documents “with a signature that is false or different from that which he normally uses” are subject to fine and imprisonment. (Article 116)

• Foreigners who fail to obey the rules will be fined, deported, and/or imprisoned as felons:

• Foreigners who are deported and attempt to re-enter the country without authorization can be imprisoned for up to 10 years. (Article 118)

• Foreigners who violate the terms of their visa may be sentenced to up to six years in prison (Articles 119, 120 and 121)

Pretty harsh eh? BTW that is Mexico's immigration law. What is being proposed by congress now is nothing compared to this. Just something to furthur consider. If any person can come into a country at their will, then there is no point even in having borders. It is a soveregn right of a country to set up borders and to protect its borders as it deems necessary.

Posted by: jaysonjaz on April 30, 2006 12:15 AM

Jayson,
I think a nation does have those rights, but I still don't think it's right to deport 12 million people and felonize anyone who helps them.

Snakeman,
You're out of your mind. I'm considering deporting you from the blog.

Honestly, one of the things I love most about America is how it has become a home for people from so many cultures and ethnic backgrounds. I say the more Latin American people, the better!

Posted by: Ian on April 30, 2006 09:51 PM

Snake man, Not cool. No Racism allowed on this board.

Posted by: Collin-Band Member on April 30, 2006 10:28 PM

I guess this means you don't want to hear the one about the Italian, the Pole and the Chinaman...

Oh well. I'll go support free speech somewhere else.

Posted by: SnakeMan on May 1, 2006 12:31 AM

does anyone have the actual details of the law?

i have a really hard time believing it means that it would result in deporting 12 million people.

Posted by: jason on May 1, 2006 08:59 AM

I know for a fact that it doesnt call for the deportation of 12 million ppl..

however.. i do not know all the facts

Posted by: jaysonjaz on May 1, 2006 12:37 PM

Snake man, The KKK home-page and their message boards might be a good fit for your brand of free speech.

Posted by: jerry on May 1, 2006 12:59 PM

oh no! what will we do without derogatory mexican jokes????

Posted by: jason on May 1, 2006 03:43 PM

If you have any non-derogatory Mexican jokes, I'm all ears.

Or we could discuss the awesomeness of this chicken cheesesteak I'm eating. It's quite tasty.

Posted by: SnakeMan on May 1, 2006 08:07 PM

God i love cheesesteak.. sometimes I think about being a vegetarian, but then I think about cheesesteaks and I just laugh to myself, because who could ever give one of those up..

Posted by: jaysonjaz on May 1, 2006 08:16 PM

Oh yeah, I've got a non-derogatory one!

What did the Mexican Firefighter name his two sons?

Jose and Hose-B.

Posted by: jason on May 1, 2006 11:27 PM

Did I teach you that?

Posted by: Xerxes [TypeKey Profile Page] on May 2, 2006 04:54 AM

Some people think this is Gross, but I love a cheesesteak with extra cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and ketchup. Very few things are that delicious. The lettuce and tomato make it, but you have to eat it right away or it all gets soggy.

Posted by: Collin-Band Member on May 2, 2006 08:05 AM

no, but the first time I heard it the person said the punchline was "Hose-1 and Hose-2" and I didn't get it at all. But now it's funnier because of that.

Posted by: jason on May 2, 2006 12:08 PM

Putting mayo on a cheesesteak is like taking a pencil and stabbing yourself in the face with it.

Posted by: SnakeMan on May 2, 2006 07:23 PM

Also, my "get off me, homes!" joke is so much better than yours, Jason. Partly because I said so, and partly because of this: http://www.kiddshow.com/video/Chainsaw-Comedy1(web).mov

Posted by: SnakeMan on May 2, 2006 07:26 PM

Anything other than cheese (or cheez whiz), onions and perhaps ketchup.. and you are officially in 'nasty disgusting food' territory. I mean... lettuce wilts on a hot cheesesteak! Tomatoes? So gross on hot food-- and then you had to add the mayo-- kryptonite of condiments.
You should be ashamed! ASHAMED! I'd like to see you try to order that at a philly steak joint. I'd like it filmed and posted on this blog. You at Pat's or Jim's trying to order that abomination of all that is good and holy in the world.

Posted by: Stealth Maestro H. Valentine on May 3, 2006 12:53 AM

Back on the subject. My whole issue with the debate is that they are call illegal for a reason. They have broken the law, plain as that. Yes the situations that they are fleeing from are tragic, but that should be taken up with their goverment. The other thing, why is the exploitation of illegal imigrants different then the exploitation of child labor. If child labor laws were being broken in the US there would be a huge roe about it. I say let the most qualified workers have the jobs, not the cheapest. Pay a man for an honest days work and the debate ends. Its economics, cut the economic benifit for illegals and they will not risk leaving their familys.

Posted by: The Wook on May 5, 2006 04:47 PM