« More "Press" | Main | Tonight at the Abdab, 233 Hamilton »

April 07, 2006

We're #4! We're #4!

All in all, a good night. We played last, and 90% of the votes had already been cast before we took the stage, but we still had a large crowd who were into our music, and we also had a nice group of supporters too (thanks all).

Out of 8 good bands, we placed 4th, and we had no illusions that we would win, because some of the bands above us had a lot of fans and friends who showed up to vote. Bands and musicians that placed beneath us were quite excellent , so we were happy in the end.

Plus, we must have done well with the judges to rate so highly, because we didn't have that many people there to vote for us, and the judges opinion counted 30%. One of the 3 judges told Ian after the show that we were his favorite band of the night. Another told me that she thought we sounded excellent, that the vocals were amazing (cough cough), that the composition and originality of our songs were great. But. . .

I asked for a critique and she gave us two. 1) She said we shouldn't wear our wedding rings, and 2) She said that we put on a great performance but it's kind of inward and not outwardly engaging to the crowd. I think the engaging part is fair enough, and we'll try to figure out a way around that.

As for the wedding ring part, I'm still mulling that one. . .

But in the end, a successful night, and very well run too, with an outstanding turnout.

We played Falling Behind and Stop the Bleeding, by the way.

Posted by jason on April 7, 2006 11:37 AM

Comments

I had fun. Thanks again to everyone who came out. It was good to see you all there.

I have decided about the wedding ring thing. I will wear mine with pride every minute of every show. I love my wife and I know that I am extremely lucky to be married to her. That is something I will happily broadcast. I'll leave the hot-avaliable-dude role up to shane.

Posted by: Collin - band member on April 7, 2006 12:30 PM

wear the wedding rings. that's the stupidest advice i've heard in a long time...

crowd participation, eh. just make sure you don't pull a jack black and crash to the floor when you try to crowd surf. then again, that'd be pretty funny. heck, if ian started coming my way, i'd run like there was no tomorrow.

Posted by: jd on April 7, 2006 12:46 PM

Yeah, not wearing wedding rings...

Maybe if you were a boyband only picked for your sexiness, smooth moves, and ability to harmonize while riding an electric bull, then I could see what they are saying. But, the idea that people wouldn't like your music because they couldn't, in reality, get with you, is ridiculous! Maybe it is because I am married, but I always get excited to see fellow young married people.

Be who you are, married or not, and people will like you cause your music is good. Enough said.

Posted by: Jessica on April 7, 2006 05:07 PM

Yeah, not wearing wedding rings...

Posted by: Jessica on April 7, 2006 05:08 PM

But . . . we were only picked for our sexyness, smooth moves, and ability to harmonize while riding electric bulls.

Posted by: Xerxes [TypeKey Profile Page] on April 7, 2006 11:19 PM

You guys sounded awesome, can't wait to see you again tonight.

Posted by: Jack on April 8, 2006 10:10 AM

That's good. But I couldn't vote for you guys. :(

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on April 8, 2006 11:22 AM

wear the wedding bands. wear them with pride. I think it's annoying when married people don't wear them. I can't really understand it... *shruggles* I'm sure you all did wonderfully and want your cd... is it done yet??????? GOSH! :-P

Posted by: sha'uri on April 9, 2006 02:44 PM

I can't believe I missed the Battle of the Bands. I've been rather self-involved lately. Oh well. Congrats on placing well, guys.

And keep wearing your wedding bands.

Posted by: Mike on April 10, 2006 08:25 PM