« Shallow Thoughts | Main | I got an email today. A really cool email. »

May 13, 2006

Battle of the Bands: A report

So, today we played in a battle of the bands at the Wingfield Festival in Jennersville PA. It was a pretty cool battle really. All the bands played on a flatbed trailer as a stage and during the whole thing the sky was just churning with angry, black clouds.

RockMachine1.jpg

It sprinkled rain the whole time we played, but we didn't get too wet. I think the water just couldn't take out rock music.

Unfortionately, we were missing Collin, who Jason has dubbed our "rock engine." (he had some lame excuse like "Oh, I can't come to the show, I'm in Kenya working on a Bible translation project... whatever. Where's the dedication?)

HPIM2124.jpg

We really don't rock in the same way without him. We know this, so we didn't even try. We went all acoustic and got in touch with our sensitive sides.

RockShaneJason.jpg

So, there were five bands. Five really goood bands. But you know us, we're not intimidated by anything. Not by thunder storms, absentee members, moms eating free barbecue chicken with their todlers, or fierce competition. We battled to the death.

We came in dead last.

RockMachine.jpg

But as anyone who came in last place will tell you, Battles of the Bands don't mean anything. Right?

What really matters is getting out there and playing music, meeting new people, and hanging out with really cool bands. Who would even want to win?

RockusAll.jpg

(In all fairness to us, we told the judges not to vote for us. We also told some of our fans to vote for other people. The prize was to meet another band that was playing there that night, and we all had to leave after the battle.)

Posted by ian on May 13, 2006 11:20 PM

Comments

Yea, I would've been there if Collin were there.... that and I had a show to play tonight. I'm sure they were all just too intimidated of the machine, thinking "this band that must be huge outside of our area has the nerve to come play a battle of the bands". Cause you know, you guys have that total rockstar vibe.

Posted by: Jack on May 13, 2006 11:44 PM

I'm guessing your biggest weakness was actually drew's hat

Whats wrong with that boy?

Posted by: jaysonjaz on May 14, 2006 10:26 AM

ya know, there's your problem. right there... last pic, right side... Drew's wearing a cowboy hat :-P (j/k)

Posted by: sha'uri on May 14, 2006 11:53 AM

haha those are actually some pretty cool pictures. I like it.

in total fairness to ourselves, the judges were good friends and though they rated as tied for first in their complicated scoring scheme, they submitted us as dead last to the person in charge, because we didn't want the chance of winning because of bias.

all the bands were very good, so dead last in this group even if the scoring was real would have been fine with me.

and I've said it before. . . unless it was a real battle with armor and swords, I really don't love the idea of a battle of the bands. i'd much rather play a show with a bunch of good bands.

Posted by: jason on May 14, 2006 12:33 PM

I don't think I want you guys doing a real battle (with armor and swords) either. Not until you've at least had some training, that is...

Posted by: jessica on May 14, 2006 05:10 PM

what do you think we do at practice?

Posted by: jason on May 14, 2006 07:32 PM

Ian is actually a viking, so I think they're good.

Posted by: SnakeMan on May 15, 2006 12:50 AM

When did Drew become such a NERD?

Posted by: Anonymous on May 16, 2006 11:58 PM