« An Update from Ian | Main | Our Perception »

June 15, 2006

Wonderful Environmental Announcement

As you all surely know, I stand in strong disapproval of many of the Bush administration's decisions and policy's. Because I am such an environmentalist at heart, this past term and a half of presidency has been torturous at times (yes, I recognize the irony in the use of the word "torturous" when discussing this presidency). Add to that the war in Iraq, general foreign policy, and the overall ethnocentrism that has been displayed by the leadership in our country and it can be downright depressing. Well today, I heard a bit of excellent news from the administration that brought a great joy to my heart.

Ghouls and goblins all across the underworld are getting out their ice-skates today in celebration of hell freezing over.

It was just announced that President Bush plans to designate an island chain spanning nearly 1,400 miles of the Pacific northwest of Hawaii as a national monument today. At nearly 140,000 square miles, an area nearly the size of Montana and larger than all the national parks combined, this will be the largest protected marine area in the entire world.

This is the most amazing environmental milestone I have ever witnessed. This area will protect and preserve thousands of rare species and an incredible area of a very delicate ecosystem.

I never thought I would see the day that something like this would happen. This is truly an incredible day for the natural world. Regardless of what political motives drove the Bush administration to make such a decision, amazing fruit has come of it. I never thought I would say this, but... thank you Mr. Bush.

Here is a great article about the preserve.

Posted by collin on June 15, 2006 09:36 AM

Comments

this is great news. it is inspiring and encouraging. thanks for the good report.

Posted by: linds on June 15, 2006 11:56 AM

Bush has proven time and again that he doesn't give a rat's ass about the environment. I suspect that he only made this move to boost his embarrassingly low approval rating.

Posted by: Jada on June 15, 2006 04:18 PM

awesome.

Posted by: jd on June 15, 2006 05:02 PM

:O
wow

Posted by: Poncho on June 15, 2006 10:02 PM

Jada, you may be right, but in this case, how much do motives really matter? You have to look at the worth of the result. Would you complain if an uncle who had been mean to everyone in the family gave each person a billion dollars to "boost his ratings" in the family?

Sure, he's been on the forefront of a lot of very bad decisions and this does not change that, but it is still a good thing.

Posted by: Collin-Band Member on June 15, 2006 10:32 PM

Exactly. Whatever the reason behind it, it remains a really good thing. Thanks for letting us know!

Posted by: Jessica on June 15, 2006 11:24 PM

if you read the article it's clear why bush did this. there were only 8 fishing licenses available for this area, and the most any business made off of fishing this area was 300K in one year.

Clearly, a 300K fishing company couldn't afford an expensive enough lobby or make a big enough contribution to the republican part.

OK, that's jaded (and true) but still this is great.

Posted by: jason on June 16, 2006 12:06 AM

I don't believe in the environment. I think we would be better off without it.

Posted by: SnakeMan on June 16, 2006 10:37 PM