« Why Privacy Laws are Important | Main | Two Sides of Ghana »

July 25, 2006

Collin has some explaining to do

Collin and I both work for Elany Arts, a creative production company. Elany will probably be developing a new website for the Blood Band of Delmarva, and a couple of weeks ago we met with them in their office to discuss it.

While talking about what would be good on the site, we brought up maybe featuring people who have donated an extraordinary amount of time. They liked the idea, and told us that one person had donated platelets over 300 times. We were impressed.

On the way out of the building, Collin remarked to me, "It's great that man has donated so many times, but he's also made a load of money off of it. $15,000."

I was amazed, "Really? That's a lot of money!"

"Yeah, I couldn't believe it either, but you get paid $50 each time you donate. I read it."

We continued to discuss this. You can donate 4 times a month, and earn $50 each time. A married couple could make $400 a month doing this. . .. that's a lot of money a month!

We thought of all the people we knew who could use an extra $200 a month, and decided to tell them about this underutilized gateway to riches. Morally good AND financially beneficial. . . does it get any better?

I told my brother. And my mom. And Drew. I even thought that all Look Machine members could do it weekly to add to our meager band fund.

My brother and mom and Drew told MANY other people. I mean, LOTS. And just as predicted, $200 a month is a nice addition to any budget. There was lots of interest. Drew had figured out a way to get the Nintendo DS and XBOX 360 he's been coveting. His brother was going to get a second job to pay the bills, but realized he could cover things by giving platelets. One woman, when told of this brilliant plan, sighed with relief, "I can really use that cash, this is a godsend."

I thought before people signed up, I should try it out, see exactly what it was like. So I signed up for an appointment. Funny thing. .. they didn't mention the $50, and I didn't want to seem, uh, mercenary. So I didn't ask. I figured that they kind of just handed the $50 check to you on the way out once you were done, alone with a pat on the back, a cookie, and a sticker.

Some of not as fearful of seeming mercenary as I. . . the woman who "needed the cash" called my brother. Apparently, the Blood Bank rep had no idea where the notion of payment had come from. No, she was told, people don't get paid for this, they do this out of the goodness of their own hearts.

No $50 per donation. No $200 a month. No XBOX 360, Nintendo DS. Time to get that second job. Time to find another source for the much needed Cash. "Where did you hear that we pay $50?," the blood bank rep asked, curious.

And now I ask the same question.

Collin?

Posted by jason on July 25, 2006 01:41 PM

Comments

I'm not sure about exact amounts, but I know you used to get money for donating blood and other vital blood products (such as platelets).
These days, if you join the Blook Bank (I think) you can donate and your contributions are "credited" to a sort of blood "account" so that you can pre-order blood for yourself or a family member if you need it for a procedure or surgery. Of course, this is very dated information and I am not certain of the details- so please don't quote me to the Blood Bank rep!

Posted by: Susan on July 25, 2006 03:25 PM

Shoot, I was planning a broadway trip with Laura with money we earned this way...

Posted by: Ian on July 25, 2006 04:31 PM

We could donate plasma for money in Harrisburg . . .

Posted by: Xerxes [TypeKey Profile Page] on July 25, 2006 05:23 PM

I want some explaining on the Blood BAND of Delmarva. I bet they rock really hard. GWAR style

Posted by: jaysonjaz on July 25, 2006 05:51 PM

I love this post and this story. I laughed out loud while reading it--it reminds me of the time that Josh Latshaw was seriously contemplating selling his pinky toes for "scientific research" until he regrettably found out it was a hoax...And thank God it was!

Posted by: jessica on July 25, 2006 10:12 PM

No such thing as easy money. I laughed out loud! Great story. No wonder Collin left town!

Posted by: Min on July 25, 2006 10:20 PM

Heck.. I'd show up just for this

Nothing like donating blood then drinking to REALLY get you hammered fast!

Posted by: jaysonjaz on July 25, 2006 10:40 PM

Clearly Collin knew that it was the only way to get you guys to donate blood. I applaud this.

Posted by: Jack on July 25, 2006 11:58 PM

ho ho~

Posted by: Aom_rock_magical on July 26, 2006 06:37 AM

Guys, I think I solved the mystery:

Collin must have, at some point in the past, gone to Central Pennsylvania and donated enough blood to get a few of those vouchers, got totally smashed, and by the time he was done, he had NO IDEA how he got the beer, but figured that the blood bank must have given him money.

That's my theory.

Posted by: Xerxes [TypeKey Profile Page] on July 27, 2006 12:20 AM

I agree with Drew, i mean, Xerxes

Posted by: jaysonjaz on July 27, 2006 12:14 PM

OK, now that I am back in town I can speak up in my own defense. While Xerxes's theory is entertaining, it is not exactly what happened.

Jase, you seem to have forgotten what I said. "Ian told me that you get 50 bucks every time you donate. You can donate up to once per week, so that is about $200 per month. He said that he was thinking about doing that from some extra cash."

So all the explaining that I have to do is done. I told you the source in our first conversation on the topic. None other than IAN. I guess you should have verified it first, but then, like Jack pointed out, maybe then they wouldn't have the platelets.

Posted by: Collin - BandMember on July 31, 2006 10:39 AM

IAN!???

(I ignore precisely 50% of what Collin says, so that's why I don't remember that.)

Ian, what do you have to say for yourself?

Posted by: jason on July 31, 2006 10:44 AM

You should know that I, Laura, passed that information on to Ian, and I'm extremely amused that I'm at all responsible for this whole thing. Sorry for the inconvenience it was to you, Jason, but it's still pretty darn funny... you should know that one of my nursing professors (no names) anounced it to my whole class--over 200 people--so I figured the source was reliable. But obviously I was wrong. And I was REALLY looking forward to the broadway play! I've never been to one before :(

Posted by: Laura on August 2, 2006 03:02 PM