« Our MySpace site has been shut down | Main | Congratulations Isaiah and Johanna »

September 12, 2006

Very crazy morning

This morning at 6:15, lindsay and I were awakened to the incessant ringing of our doorbell. We live out in the country and we have never had anyone just randomly stop by, so it was strange in and of itself, but at 6:15 in the morning!?!?! Groggy and confused, I put on a shirt and stumbled out to the door to see what on earth could be happening.

I opened to door to see somebody running out of my driveway toward the street. I didn't know who it was or what was going on, so I just yelled out "HEY!"

He turned around and yelled back, "There has been a terrible accident! Someone is laying in the street in front of your house. Call an ambulance!"

I grabbed my cell phone and made the call as I ran out the door. When I got out there, I saw a man laying in the street covered in blood. There was a wrecked-up motorcycle and a dead deer laying near by.

When I got out to the street, the guy was just regaining consciousness. He didn't know where he was or what had happened. With great pain and effort, he was eventually able to stand up. Over a couple of minutes everything started coming back to him. He asked me to call his wife and inform her of what had transpired.

Within 5 - 10 min, the ambulance and a paramedic had arrived. Within another 10 minutes, there were 2 firetrucks, a fire chief, a fire police, 5 state ploice cars, and a couple more paramedics. The quiet country road through the woods by my house looked like a scene from a hostage movie.

His wife arrived just as the paramedics were putting him onto a stretcher. She remained calm and composed until the man cried out in pain when a paramedic touched his leg. As it turns out, he was is a bad motorcycle accident about 5 years ago. His leg was so badly damaged that it took about a year to rebuild it with pins, braces, and muscle tissue from his stomach. For about 6 months, the doctors thought that they would have to amputate. There weren't sure if they could save it if it got injured again.

The guy had this damaged leg, wounded shoulder, mangled hand, and ripped up face, but he honestly seemed grateful to be alive. His helmet was scrapped and cracked from the fall. i can't imagine what would have happened if he wasn't wearing it.

Probably the saddest thing that happened was while they were loading him up. A school bus was driving by and had to stop because of all of the emergency vehicles. The door opened and the man's son jumped out and ran up to the ambulance. He just happened to be riding down the road on his way to school when he saw his father being loaded into an ambulance on a stretcher.

I have the family's phone number and I plan on calling later to check on the guy and see if there is anything I can do. I'll keep you posted if I find out more.

Posted by collin on September 12, 2006 10:01 AM


rude SOBs, waking you up at 6:15......

Posted by: Terrell Owens on September 12, 2006 11:48 AM

That poor family- they must feel so shell-shocked! That man is blessed that his accident happened outside of your house- many people would not have been as great as you were!

Posted by: Susan on September 12, 2006 02:01 PM

I agree with T.O.

What a crazy story.

Posted by: jaysonjaz on September 12, 2006 05:42 PM

craaazy! you gotta love country livin'

Posted by: min on September 12, 2006 10:17 PM


Posted by: Anonymous on September 14, 2006 12:07 AM

that would have scared the shizz outa me

Posted by: jessie on September 16, 2006 10:22 PM

Post a comment

Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)