« Frightland | Main | The Insomnia Film Festival »

November 01, 2006

An Insane Week

Many of you know that I'm trying to get into UCLA's Master of Fine Arts Program for Screenwriting. I applied last year, didn't make it, but did get invited to partake in their year-long Professional Program for Screenwriting. 19 of the people who made it into the MFA program came from the Professional Program.

So I enrolled in that program, and my thought process was this, "Oh cool, so I'll do this program and have some more strong screenplays that will help me get into the MFA program." And I put the MFA program out of my thoughts. About a month ago, I started the Professional program.

Last monday, I had this strange thought. I remembered applying for the MFA program last year around November. Huh, I thought, wonder what the deadline is for the '07 term?

I checked. It was November 1st.

And here's the kicker. I was counting on getting my new screenplays from my program. So, in other words, I didn't have a suitable writing sample. I thought the schedules would line up, and they didn't at all.

So in addition to having to get transcripts sent, put together a statement of purpose, get the letters of recommendations lined up and sent, and filling out the paperwork.. . .. I had to write a feature length screenplay this past week. In addition to celebrating my son's birthday in Baltimore, throwing a 55 person combined birthday party for my son and my daughter, AND keeping up with my weekly homework for the program I'm actually enrolled in.

And my head hurts and I don't feel like writing another word. . . but I'm done. I think it's crazy, but I wrote a 106 page screenplay in one week. I re-wrote it yesterday and sent everything off today. And I think it's a pretty good screenplay too, the best one I've written thus far. So hurray for stupidly impossible deadlines.

I have not been this stressed in quite some time though. I can't handle too many weeks like this last one.

Posted by jason on November 1, 2006 02:59 PM

Comments

pansy, once i wrote a the great American novel during a bathroom trip. and threw 56 person bar mitzvah for a nephew and a niece of mine on a coffee break. Seriously though, good job. Have you heard about the National Novel Writing Month? They want people to write a 175-page book, (any genre) that's about 50,000 words, in the month of November. Last year 50,000 signed up, and 10,000 completed it.

Posted by: Anonymous on November 1, 2006 10:25 PM

Posted by: childish on November 1, 2006 10:25 PM

I have heard of that, and I want to try it at some point. I think Drew and I might try our hand at this, any one want to join us?

Posted by: jason on November 1, 2006 10:29 PM

That would be awesome--You guys would be great! I would be willing to join--also, I would love to read the screenplay some time; I bet it's great!

Posted by: Jessica on November 1, 2006 11:24 PM

i might do that insomnia film festival with you if you want.

Posted by: shane on November 2, 2006 10:29 AM

hey can i get in on this?

Posted by: bsweber on November 2, 2006 11:28 AM

dude, you know how good i was at playing jesus. **cough** i'd totally be game for any help you guys need. the more ridiculous the character the better.

Posted by: childish on November 2, 2006 11:40 AM

ok, drew and I need to talk about it and we'll pull something together. I'm all for having a team ready to go. It would be AWESOME.

I'll post about it shortly for those who want to be involved.

Posted by: jason on November 2, 2006 11:49 AM

is childish Paul O? I've never known who that was

Posted by: jaysonjaz on November 2, 2006 11:49 AM

look jason, i realize that teams are limited to 5 people. so this is why i should be in included: i'm completely free that nov 10th. i'm flexible and willing to do anything. you want someone dead, they're dead. also, i tripped over you, though inadvertent on your part, and broke my nose. i think that counts for something. drew has also countless time hurt me at our former job together, and never compensated me. so elect me as your team member.

Posted by: childish on November 2, 2006 12:26 PM

i bet jason knew that'd come back to haunt him.....ha

i'm not in college anymore, but i'd still like to help out as an unofficial member if thats cool.

Posted by: bsweber on November 2, 2006 12:49 PM