« The Best Stress Relief | Main | Our Best Review Yet - 4 Stars »

January 26, 2007

The Evening Service - Real or Fake?

OK, so we need your help here. We've watched the video on the page, read the stuff written on the sites. . . and . . . .we're still not quite sure.

The song is called "The Bible Says," from a band supported by the "Love God's Way" ministry.

Is this a hoax? Please, weigh in with your opinions!

Posted by jason on January 26, 2007 01:09 PM

Comments

omfg!

Posted by: Anonymous on January 26, 2007 01:24 PM

If this is real, it is one of the most offensive things I have ever seen / heard. It is just so wrong, it is astounding.

I have actually done a good bit of research to find out what this is all about. In some respects, it reeks of a very elaborate hoax, but I have yet to find proof that it is not real.

The band is associated with Love Gods Way. This is supposedly a site dedicated to "Changing Homosexuals Into Ordinary People."

The guy who wrote and performs the song is a pastor in Houston, TX named Donnie Davies. He claims to be a "reformed homosexual." He has a website and he has a myspace page. Both of these are things that you could fake, but they are also rather convincing. I actually got his IM account information and have tried chatting him a few times to see what i can figure out. I am trying to get him to believe that I am "struggling with temptations" and need some pastorly advice ;) I feel a little bit bad about tricking him, but I think that this might be a good way to find out if he is for real or not. If this is a hoax, the intent is obviously to poke fun at bigoted christians. I really doubt that he would try to talk somebody out of being Gay if he is faking this thing. I only talked to him for a little while and he had to sign off, but he agreed to talk again later. I'll keep you posted if i talk to him again.

Posted by: Anonymous on January 26, 2007 01:39 PM

"I am "struggling with temptations" and need some pastorly advice ;) "

Collin! I had no idea. We can talk and figure this out, dude!

Posted by: jason on January 26, 2007 01:43 PM

fake

Posted by: Jonathan on January 26, 2007 01:45 PM

fake

Posted by: Jonathan on January 26, 2007 01:45 PM

fake

Posted by: jonathan on January 26, 2007 01:46 PM

i did not see that comming. the music video is so incrediblly cheesy and the dirty mustache is hilarious, such a goof ball.

Posted by: childish on January 26, 2007 01:49 PM

jonathan, I'm not sure. . . do you think it's fake?

Posted by: jason on January 26, 2007 01:54 PM

btw -- my vote would definitely be "fake" too.

Posted by: jason on January 26, 2007 01:54 PM

Hey lay off my video -- I got an invite to the next MTV VMAs!

Posted by: Davies on January 26, 2007 03:13 PM

It's actually a whole movement. There's a website. It's run by Fred Phelps, "pastor" at a "baptist church" in Kansas. They go to funerals of soldiers and hold up signs that say "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God for Dead Soldiers." They say that, because America is so pro-homosexuality . . . God is killing our soldiers in Iraq.

Yeah. Really.

See, now I thought it was cause Dubbaya kept sending them over there . . .

Posted by: Xerxes [TypeKey Profile Page] on January 26, 2007 05:26 PM

but I think this is satirizing godhatesfags.com

i mean, look at how much better the design is, I doubt they are the same movement.

Posted by: jason on January 26, 2007 05:31 PM

speaking of phony, check out this hilarious clip: http://glumbert.com/media/televangelist

enjoy!

Posted by: sean on January 27, 2007 04:33 PM

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who truly is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know the way to deliver a problem to mild and make it important. Extra individuals need to read this and perceive this aspect of the story. I cant consider youre not more fashionable because you positively have the gift.

Posted by: Stanton Sepulbeda on December 28, 2011 04:27 AM

Are you producing virtually all your "online chat" article content? If that's the case, you actually have a very fantastic writing method. Scanning your articles brought me excitement in addition to determination. I'm striving to learn through other internet sites so as to improve my very own web site. Thank you : )

Posted by: Rachael Bunting on September 19, 2012 01:18 AM