« An Incredible Opportunity | Main | Super Slow Motion. »

February 13, 2007

How many earths would be needed

If everyone lived like you?

I would need 3.5 earths.

How many would you need?

Update: This site seems like a scam. I went in and filled out "best case scenario." I was vegan, lived in a 500 square foot green inspired designed house with no electricity with 7 other people. I ate only locally grown produce and relied on footpower for all my transportation. I didn't fly or drive or anything. And it said my lifestyle would take up one full earth!!!! WHAT???? It said my lifestyle took up 4 acres.

Environmental concerns are vaild, why do organizations have to exaggerate and play loose with the numbers like this? It's maddening.

Posted by jason on February 13, 2007 11:21 AM

Comments

3.5

Posted by: ian on February 13, 2007 01:52 PM

It seems many environmentalists seem to exaggerate, thats why my knee-jerk reaction is usually to ignore them. When we were kids we were told all the rain forests would be gone by this time and that global warming would have caused Delaware to be underwater.

Deception is never good for any cause.

Posted by: jaysonjaz on February 14, 2007 12:14 PM

in the 70's some people were saying we were in for global cooling.

Now we're scared of global warming.

Posted by: Anonymous on February 14, 2007 12:22 PM

I think that enviromentalists are afraid that people won't care, that they won't listen. So, some of them stretch the truth. They want to really get people's attention, to scare them in to action. Then the whole thing backfires. People write it all off as exaguration and doomsaying, even when it's true.

Posted by: Ian on February 15, 2007 09:48 AM

2.2

and no lying

yep, it's true

i am a better for the environment than ian

Posted by: jd on February 15, 2007 04:48 PM

dude....
you are correct. they are screwing with something because it doesnt make sense. stupid.

Posted by: josh on February 15, 2007 06:01 PM

shane you are amazing.

Posted by: david on February 15, 2007 06:12 PM

thanks.

Posted by: shane. on February 15, 2007 06:23 PM

6.7

Yayuh! I was set to lie and post like "30 earths, 10 moons and an asteroid" but my current lifestyle was adaquately eco-unfriendly.

Posted by: SnakeMan on February 15, 2007 08:13 PM

efffing A... 7.7

i win.

man, i'ma gonna kill me some trees now.. and maybe a baby seal, yep seal clubbing...

Posted by: childish on February 15, 2007 11:46 PM

7.70000043

yup 7.7 earths and a scoop-a-dirt

awww 4.4 actually

Posted by: bsweber on February 15, 2007 11:51 PM

I heard that snow will be extinct by 2100.

Posted by: Anonymous on February 17, 2007 12:14 AM

I'm glad you posted the update. It's frustrating to try to live eco-friendly because, in the end, you can never off-set the incredible impact of countries like India or China. Also, I think that being "green" or eco-conscious can be so all-consuming a responsibility that you become a slave to it, to the detriment of your faith. So, I am personally trying to be a good steward without becoming obsessed with turning into some crunchy-granola hippie that composts my garden with my own urine (I read about it in an organic gardening book that I took out of the library- for real... can you imagine, "Yeah, these carrots are exceptionally succulent because they were grown with human urine..." too silly for me!)

Posted by: Susan on February 18, 2007 11:35 AM

America releases 25% or the worlds human produced co2. We are also cultural leaders for the rest of the world.

So, I think that India and china might be saying the same thing about America. Per capita, we are much harder on the envirnoment than either of those countries.

You be a good steward and all that without peeing on your garden. For the love of god, just drive a small car.

Posted by: Anonymous on February 18, 2007 03:44 PM

Another good reason not to eat carrots.

Posted by: SnakeMan on February 18, 2007 05:41 PM

What if you have a family of 6? How in the world can you drive a small car??

Posted by: Anonymous on February 19, 2007 12:56 AM

You probably can't, but you can drive a fuel efficient minnie van rather than an 8 seater suv.

Posted by: Anonymous on February 19, 2007 10:38 AM

mini vans don't really get better gas mileage then SUVs. . .

Posted by: jason on February 19, 2007 11:25 AM