« At the DMV | Main | First Day of School »

September 22, 2007

I am officially holier than you (environmentally speaking)

Yes, you must defer to me. In terms of a carbon footprint and environmental sensitivity... I am better than you. Because today I bought a Toyota Prius.

If you thought Al Gore was smug, you have no idea just how self-satisfied I feel right now. I mean, to be able to remove myself from this unwashed masses of gas-only vehicle driving commoners such as you, and know that I am no longer driving the world towards extinction with each mile I rack up... it's a breath of (now cleaner) air.

Now when I see images of cute seals covered with crude oil, I no longer have to feel responsible, but can instead point my morally righteous finger at you, asking what you're planning to do about it. Because I have already done my part.

I bought a Prius.

Huzzah for me.

Posted by jason on September 22, 2007 04:12 PM

Comments

How many times have you flown commercially this year....?

Posted by: Oil Covered seal on September 22, 2007 05:42 PM

those planes would have flown with or without me, I made no difference.

now when I start chartering private jets, we can talk, mr. seal.

Posted by: jason on September 22, 2007 06:12 PM

what is your other card again?

Posted by: Anonymous on September 22, 2007 07:29 PM

what is your other card again?

Posted by: Anonymous on September 22, 2007 07:29 PM

as if that even matters, once you own a prius, it cancels everything else out.

Posted by: jason on September 22, 2007 07:36 PM

Congrats on the prius man. That is awesome.

Posted by: Collin on September 22, 2007 07:58 PM

i hear bicycles are pretty good for the environment...i dunno, maybe even better than your new-fangled prius.

Posted by: Anonymous on September 22, 2007 08:29 PM

Oh, no... I sense dangerous levels of SMUG rolling in from the west...

Posted by: Susan on September 22, 2007 10:09 PM

I had a bike for an hour. It was stolen.

Posted by: jason on September 22, 2007 10:15 PM

Now for some non-facetious facts about the prius.

It's a 2002, with 85K miles, and I got a pretty good deal on it. In fact, I got a car loan for $200 a month, exactly the amount less in rent that I'm now paying than I would have paid if the other house didn't fall through.

The coolest thing (other than saving on gas and knowing I have low emissions), is that it comes with a special HOV access tag, which means I can save time by driving in the carpool lanes even if I'm by myself. Also, I can park at any meter in LA for free with the tag. These tags were issued, and then discontinued, so they are worth their weight in gold. They are also non-transferrable.

Since I was going to have to pay $8 a day to park at UCLA, this feature now amount to $160 a month in savings!

Pretty cool how all that worked out.

Posted by: jason on September 23, 2007 12:17 AM

congrats, i'm glad you can get your smug on about somthing, cuz it def ain't about those eagles.

Posted by: paul on September 23, 2007 01:29 AM

did the season start? oh I hadn't noticed.

Posted by: jason on September 23, 2007 03:04 AM

anyone else think that mcnabb doesn't look that good with a shaved head?

Posted by: Anonymous on September 24, 2007 03:05 AM

Come off it. You are doing the environment no favors driving a prius, you are only abusing it a little bit less. You are slapping it instead of punching it.

You are no less dependent on Oil that Schwartzanegy in his hummer, you just use a little bit less.

Posted by: NaySayer on September 24, 2007 09:07 AM

"Those planes would have flown with or without me, I made no difference."

Bullshit. Ever hear of supply and demand?

With that attitude you might as well buy a seal-fur coat. That cute little fucker has already been clubbed over the head and turned into a fashion statement. You buying it would make no difference.

Posted by: Oil Covered seal on September 24, 2007 09:35 AM

I think it is cool that there are so many incentives to owning a prius out there. I wish that everywhere was like that.

You used to get a great tax credit for it too. Not so great anymore.

Posted by: Collin-Band Member on September 24, 2007 11:53 AM

ever hear about some 3-0 cowboys?

Posted by: Paul on September 24, 2007 01:22 PM

the new environmental kinship wishes to award you with a special commendation but you must return this Sunday to church to receive it

Posted by: robin on September 24, 2007 07:20 PM