« I am very angry at Bank of America | Main | I'm hoping for a tie. »

February 02, 2008

Some Like it Hot

My film literacy education has begun. I watched Some Like it Hot, very funny comedy starring Marilyn Monroe. Incidently, this is the only movie I've ever seen with her in it. Which is odd, considering how famous she is. But anyway, I'm happy to say she was very good, a very skilled comedic actress

The film is funny. Not funny in an old fashioned "yeah that's kind of humorous for a bunch of old geezers kind of way" but funny as in if it were a movie made today today's young audience would get it and laugh and want to see it again. And Jack Lemmon is (was) a star, the guy is hilarious. I never knew how good he was prior to be a Grumpy Old Man.

Anyway, if you thought that Mrs. Doubtfire / Bosom Buddies / etc were original in their guys dress like girls to get something and hilarity ensues storyline, like I did, you'd be wrong. This film does it masterfully.

One strange thing that you just don't see in comedies today. This movie had no less than 14 people gunned down in cold blood, wounds seeping on the ground, pretty violent scenes. It was like an episode of the Sopranos showing up in the middle of Runaway Bride. Different times, different tastes I guess.

UPDATE:
I also realized that this movie is unique in that there are no character arcs (ie the main character does not change in the course of the film) and there is no single protoganist (both Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis are equally the main characters.)

UPDATE 2:
I watched it again tonight and realized there is a small character arc, though it's definitely not emphasized. Tony Curtis' character goes from being a womanizer to a man who wants the best for the Marilyn Monroe character.

3 out of 4 - Watch it because you should love it.

Posted by jason on February 2, 2008 03:13 AM

Comments

Speaking of "the runaway bride..."

She makes an appearance in the trailer for The Grand, which will be THE movie of 2008. Because I said so.

Posted by: SnakeMan on February 2, 2008 02:28 PM

i love some like it hot. in the film class i took in high school i wasn't sure about some of the older movies we had to watch but i ended up really liking them. i really liked citizen kane and i think the 3rd man is on your list and that movie is really good too.

p.s. i'm really jealous how you get to live out in california and watch all these different movies! just thought i'd let you know.

Posted by: Jenna on February 2, 2008 03:28 PM

well, you can watch these movies no matter where you live. but I know what you mean.

and yeah, the old movies are not boring at all. that's kind of a shocker to me for some reason.

Posted by: jason on February 2, 2008 03:32 PM

I think it's how we were raised. Mom and Pop never watched the old films and didn't have any nostalgia for older movies.

We never watching old films growing up.. I never saw a movie in black and white until I was out of high school. I remember watching "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time and being blown away by how good it was cause I really did believe everything in black and white was not worth watching. Actually, it was kind of like that with music too. Anything before the Beatles was never listened to in house. I still feel like a traitor to my parents for liking Sinatra :-)

Posted by: Jonathan on February 2, 2008 10:43 PM

I haven't seen some like it hot yet, but because of this i just added it to my queue, as well as citizen kane.

And here's to hoping neither team wins the super bowl.

Posted by: paul on February 3, 2008 03:08 PM

you watched this movie twice while you have 400+ in your que?

Posted by: Anonymous on February 4, 2008 04:15 PM

Yes. I thought it was funny and wanted Darby to see it. Also, technically I'm supposed to watch each film twice to get what is "going on." The first time you watch a film, you're kind of overwhelmed by the storytelling and acting and everything, and often miss out on HOW or WHY it works (or doesn't).

Posted by: jason on February 4, 2008 04:49 PM