« Lawrence of Arabia | Main | Terminator »

February 14, 2008

The Exorcist

Oh my goodness, this had to be one of the most terrifying films I have ever seen. And it was so well made (after the first 35 minutes at least, which were badly acted and boring), that I feel like I watched a real demon possession and exorcism. It just seemed so authentic and frightening.

I don't really have much more to say except that I'll never watch it again, but it was an excellent film.

And it was child abuse to have a 12 year old actress play the part of the possessed girl.

3 out of 4 - You should love this film (ok, not love, but appreciate it. But honestly, don't watch this unless you can really handle some terror and horror. This is VERY scary. It's traumatic.)

Posted by jason on February 14, 2008 03:12 AM

Comments

Didn't the same actress struggle with something similar after the film was made? I thought I heard that?

Posted by: Anonymous on February 14, 2008 04:45 PM

this is one of the movies that i haven't seen before, but really want to because of how famous it is.

BTW-  i think Sean works for the Bank of America. you should try to convert him as your spy in your master plan of revenge.

Posted by: paul on February 14, 2008 04:58 PM

I work for JPMorganChase, but you may be referring to a different Sean.

Regarding The Exorcist, it's my understanding that Linda Blair did not say the really vulgar demon-possessed lines. I think there may have been a body double for some scenes too. If true, the abusiveness of the role was mitigated to a degree.

Jason, can you or your sources confirm the voice over or body double?

Posted by: sean on February 16, 2008 11:33 AM

Yes, you're right about the voice over at least for much of the vulgar lines. A man did that. It's why she didn't receive an Oscar, apparently, once that was disclosed. And for some of the crazier scenes, like the SPIDERWALK, for instance, a contortionist was used as a body double. But for a lot of the other traumatic scenes, I think it was still her. She was screwed up from the experience. She lived with 25 year old Rick Springfield when she was only 15!

Posted by: jason on February 16, 2008 02:24 PM

I have definitely heard that the role seriously screwed her up. Do you think she was "normally" screwed up in the secular sense, or do you think it had a spiritual aspect as well, given the subject matter of the movie? I'm curious as to what you and the other commentators think. I tend to think it was a bit of both.

Posted by: sean on February 17, 2008 08:41 PM

Of course we'll never know, but if I had to put money on it and it could be revealed, I would guess that she was screwed up from the fame at a young age and the emotional aspects of what she witnessed. I don't think there was actually any demonic component to what she suffered. But there was likely something in her own spirit that was damaged from the experience.

Posted by: jason on February 17, 2008 08:47 PM