« Losing my Mojo | Main | The Godfather »

February 24, 2008

Universal Disappointment

I took the kids to Universal Studios Hollywood yesterday. I've visited Universal in Orlando before (and their second park, Islands of Adventure), and both of those parks were incredible. I just kind of assumed I was in for more of the same.

I made the mistake of telling my kids of my expectations... that we would have "fun" and that there would be "rides." What was I thinking?

I'll tell you right now. If you have anyone in your group who's younger than 13, don't go. And even if you are all older than 13, use whatever discounts you can to get that admission price down. Because a day here is worth $30 at the most.

Let me give you a grand tour of the rides they have at this park.

1) Jurassic Park River Ride.
2) Revenge of the Mummy indoor rollercoaster.

That's it. And both of them are too scary for my kids. What did we do? The backlot tour is cool. And we saw an animal show. That's it. We got into the park at noon and left by 2.30.

I don't get it, I don't understand why people visit this place, and pay so much to get in. And I don't understand how Universal's corporate pride allows them to have such a poor park in their backyard in LA while the parks in Florida are so superior.

I thought they'd have some kind of rides for the kids. Nothing!

Oh well, hopefully you'll find this and be warned. Go to Disneyland. Same price, and you get MUCH more for the money.

Posted by jason on February 24, 2008 03:15 PM

Comments

When we went out there like 20 years ago all that seemed to be impressive to me was the back lot tour and we had to wait for what seemed like hours with Jenna as a little baby screaming the whole time.

All I remember about that tour was being terrified that I was sitting on the end of the tram and thinking that JAWS was going to jump out and eat me! I think you told me that and it scared me the whole time but when he actually passed by, it was just a stupid fake robot shark that made mechanical sounds -- so it seems like it hasn't changed much in 20 years!

Posted by: Anonymous on February 24, 2008 09:28 PM

Drew and I went there on our honeymoon and we rode the Revenge of the Mummy ride. It was fun, but...(please don't laugh) a bit scary, and I will tell you why: The whole time you are trying to get away from this ancient Egyptian god, but at the end, you are forced to go directly into his waiting arms with no other alternative--short of jumping out of the roller coaster (which everyone knows can get you sent into Theme Park Jail...not a place I want to go). Anyway, the very worst part is that he is screaming over you in this unearthly wail, "your souls belong to me!" over and over again. My reaction to this, and Drew can vouch for this, was to say quite seriously right back at him, "our souls belong to Jesus." There was no way I was gonna spend eternity with that evil thing...and ok, you can laugh at me if you want. Drew did:-)

Posted by: jessica on February 25, 2008 01:00 AM

I have bad news for you. Your soul does belong to a fictional mummy. Nothing we can do about it.

Posted by: jason on February 25, 2008 01:02 AM

I thought the mummy was based on a true story . . .

Posted by: Xerxes on February 25, 2008 01:27 AM

I mean, he was named Imhotep, who was a priest in ancient Egpyt. But I don't think he came back to life or anything.

Posted by: jason on February 25, 2008 01:36 AM

Nothing we can do about it?! Oh shoot...

Posted by: jessica on February 25, 2008 04:34 PM