« Rewrites | Main | Pushing through. »

April 28, 2008

Procrastinating

I have to admit, I'm in a funk for Tovenray's Curse, my latest screenplay. I have to break out of it today and tomorrow, but where my normal routine is to write pages every day, I haven't written anything since last Wednesday's class.

Fortunately, I'm learning to procrastinate while doing other things that I actually really have to do. So I put together most everything bureaucratic for the season of Screenwriting Competitions, which took a tremendous amount of time, while rewriting my screenplays. I worked a lot on my comedy spec for the Office. I read more screenplays and made notes for my internship at Maguire.

And now it's just me and the blank page and I have to move on.

On thing that was quite helpful was that I went on a hike with Lyric and Ollie yesterday and they wanted me to tell them the whole story from start to finish. To see the way they responded to it and liked it encouraged me on the strength of the story. In fact, I told Lyric that my instructor wasn't like it so much so far and she looked at me amazed. "Why, doesn't he like good stories? Who wouldn't like it?"

So that's the audience I need to write for.

Posted by jason on April 28, 2008 01:39 PM

Comments

i may be wrong but it seems that you haven't had much criticism or negative feedback yet. i might be good to encounter some. gotta grow thicker skin

Posted by: Anonymous on April 28, 2008 04:59 PM

it*

Posted by: Anonymous on April 28, 2008 05:01 PM

Ha, yes... that's because I'm awesome. Well, you're partially right. I experienced a good amount of criticism writing my last screenplay (Harriet Tubman), too. But I am always working on that, on facing despair and remaining productive and inspired.

It is not easy, but it's a skill I'm developing.

Posted by: jason on April 28, 2008 05:02 PM

Jason, let me help you: you're horrible at stuff, you throw like a girl, your calves are huge, and let's face it, your hands are kinda girly. Let me know if you need more, I got tons.

Posted by: paul Odders on April 28, 2008 05:42 PM

I'll give you the calves and maybe the throwing, but my hands are actually the farthest from girly... if you pay attention. They've been really wrinkly since I was very young. I used to be quite embarrassed by them!

Posted by: jason on April 28, 2008 06:18 PM

way to go paul - making jase delve into his painful past and relived the SHAME OF THE WRINKLED HANDS.

Posted by: Anonymous on April 29, 2008 02:27 PM

I have actually seen you receive a good deal of constructive criticism in creative situations. I gave you some (haha), and Nathan gave you tons while we were in the studio.

I think you handled all that incredibly well, and even though some of it drove me nuts (not what I gave you of course, that was pure genius), you worked with the criticism and we really came out with better songs because of that.

So, I'm sure you are handling it just fine. And like always, you'll take the good suggestions, and stick it to the man with the bad ones. Keep writing good stories.

Posted by: Ian on April 30, 2008 09:11 AM

Ian, that's because you guys give suggestions the way I like to hear them. "What if you tried this..." instead of "That's not working. Do this." I'm always open to new suggestions and ways to do something. What annoys me is when someone who doesn't quite share my sensibility about what works tells me something isn't working, and hasn't even taken the time to figure out what I'm trying to accomplish and give me suggestions on how to preserve that. So I get these very subjective suggestions that don't seem to fit in with what I'm hoping to accomplish story wise with no further discussion.

Posted by: jason on April 30, 2008 12:15 PM

That's aweful. I would hate that.

Posted by: Ian on April 30, 2008 02:50 PM