« There Will Be Blood | Main | CineStory Quarterfinalist »

May 22, 2008

A week of losing

Well, you know I had a very good week a couple of weeks ago.. and you have to roll with the good times and the bad times. This past week was especially... annoying.

That Sidney Sheldan Award where I was the finalist, I lost. SO CLOSE! Oh well. I'm very happy for the actual winner, but it's hard to know I feel just short and see all the recognition she's getting. I mean, things were so close that it took them an extra 6 months to make a determination on the winner.

And then, this past week I learned that I placed just outside the winners for UCLA's Screenwriting Showcase. Like again, SO CLOSE. Someone on the inside of the contest said that many of the judges (who are execs and agents and stuff like that) really really liked my screenplay and I literally feel just a few points short because it was all averaged.

Again, so close but just falling a little short.

Such is life sometimes. One of the best things you can be good at is taking a punch and not giving up. So these things are all good practice.

Posted by jason on May 22, 2008 01:52 AM

Comments

oh man, jase! i'm so sorry to hear about those disappointments. of course, all of us, your loyal fans, are are amazed at how well you are doing, so quickly into your life out there in the film industry. but, i'm sure it is so frustrating to know that you almost had those successes in the bag, and you only lost by a hair. it'll come soon, though! all that success and recognition is inevitably in your path!

Posted by: linds on May 22, 2008 02:09 AM

I agree with Lindsay--the successes you have already made are amazing and there is definitely more to come! And you're right--the disappointment along the way is part of it. Your determination is awesome, though--and more valuable than one measly prize in the course of all the great things you will do. We are all so proud of you!!!!!!

Posted by: jessica on May 22, 2008 05:02 AM

Oh, so sorry, Jase! But it's obvious you're getting very close. Sometimes it's good not to get the highest things first; when you do get them, it makes it that much sweeter---and you have more to write about because people like to see movies about hard times much more than good times. We're proud of you!!!!

Posted by: Lynn on May 22, 2008 06:02 AM

Man thats tough.. keep at it, I'm sure you'll get the recognition you deserve soon enough

Posted by: Jason J on May 22, 2008 11:18 AM

I have a feeling that this is as good as it gets for you so enjoy it!

Posted by: Anonymous on May 22, 2008 12:13 PM

I have a feeling I hope your feelings are false. But I am enjoying every minute.

Posted by: jason on May 22, 2008 12:18 PM

Jase

Sorry to hear about this! But this will only give you a greater hunger!

Posted by: Jonathan on May 22, 2008 02:43 PM

Dude, you're still on a rocket ship and you're going to break through. I'm not saying it's not disappointing to be in second place; I'm saying you're just passing through.

Posted by: Mike on May 22, 2008 03:52 PM

hey anonymous......SHUT UP!!

Posted by: Jenna on May 23, 2008 12:26 AM

Writing isn't the only area of life where you are "a little short."

Posted by: Michael Scott on May 23, 2008 01:59 AM

Gotta say I agree with Jenna on this one, anonymous. You are outnumbered and not liked. If I were you, I'd get the heck out of dodge...

Posted by: jessica on May 23, 2008 06:27 AM

Shake it off Latshaw. It is no fun to lose, but you know you're good. Your time is coming.

Posted by: Collin on May 23, 2008 10:29 AM

great artists win awards after they are dead. Who wants broad appeal to every schmuck that comes along? I want to make art that people either love or they hate. I want to polarize people. Awards like that are given to those who get enough "pretty goods." F that. How many awards did kevin smith win? or diablo cody? or whoever?

Posted by: joshua Latshaw on May 23, 2008 11:08 AM

It would be really funny if Jason was the anonymous hater, posting mean comments to himself just to get people's responses.

That would be well adjusted.

Posted by: Ian on May 23, 2008 12:54 PM

Josh –

You bring up a good point, and in fact I think it's a flaw of the contest. I know from the judges that at least 3-4 of the ten judges LOVED my script. But the contest excludes your highest and lowest scores (taking away one person who loves it) and then averages it.

It really doesn't help people who write stuff that people either love or hate to do it that way. It also doesn't reflect reality in Hollywood. You get films made because an important person LOVES your script, it really only takes one person to be passionate about it (if they have enough clout.) But with the way the contest went, if I had 4 people who loved it and gave it high marks, but then 6 who didn't get it and gave it low marks, my average would lose out to someone who had 10 people think it was "pretty good." I'd rather be loved by 4 then have 10 think it was pretty good. And have 4 think it's amazing would mean it has a better chance at being made into a movie.

And thus, now I will end my rant on the scoring system of the Showcase Competition.

Posted by: jason on May 23, 2008 01:01 PM