« Indy 4 - More commentary (not from me) | Main | Pretty cool situation »

June 03, 2008

I'm curious

I have recently learned that my sister, Jessica (happy birthday!), is always sucking her stomach in and flexing her ab muscles. She said this is pretty normal behavior if you don't want to look like you have a big stomach.

Does everyone else do this!? I've been trying and it's hard work.

Posted by jason on June 3, 2008 07:04 PM

Comments

The trainer I used to have--Jan (a woman my age)--always held her stomach muscles in. This was normal behavior for her and she said that after awhile it became 2nd nature. I tried for awhile but it was very hard.

Posted by: Mom on June 3, 2008 11:03 PM

Ok, "always sucking my stomach in" makes it sound like I have a huge protuberance to begin with. Which would be fine, but isn't the case. I just always tone my stomach muscles--its something I started doing with dancing and then it even intensified when I started pilates. Its great exercise for you when you don't have time to get down and do crunches, plus it keeps you from eating too much because if you are toning, then your stomach can't get big to accomodate too much food...

Posted by: jessica on June 4, 2008 02:07 PM

For all I know you may have a humongous pot belly! How would I know? You are always sucking it in!

Posted by: jason on June 4, 2008 02:13 PM

That reminds me of that Simpsons episode where all the men go to the super bowl. When they all get there, the tour guide says, alright there are no women around here so we can all stop sucking in our guts. They all sigh, unbuckle the pants and expand outward. It was most amusing

Posted by: Jason J on June 4, 2008 04:06 PM

I guess you're right. I am a woman of mystery...

Posted by: jessica on June 4, 2008 06:01 PM

I too have tried this, but honestly it's exhausting. Also, I've heard you're supposed to also put your shoulders back along with the stomach thing. Doing this makes me realize that I pretty much have the posture of the Hunchback most days.

Posted by: Chris on June 7, 2008 11:18 PM