« I'm curious | Main | Easy Rider »

June 04, 2008

Pretty cool situation

The assistant at Maguire Entertainment is an aspiring director, and he and I get along very well. I was psyched because today he sent me a short story he wants to shoot as a short film, asking my thoughts about it. I shared my notes on the idea, which he really appreciated.

And he wants me to collaborate with him on the screenplay for it. I'm excited about it for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the story itself is strong and cinematic. But also because it's always nice to find a creative match, and the assistant has read a couple of my screenplays and he obviously likes them enough to want me to work on one of his own projects.

I know it sounds weird, but whenever someone who isn't family or friend actually likes my writing, it's a special thrill.

Posted by jason on June 4, 2008 03:58 AM

Comments

Sure, it's a special thrill to have those other than family like your writing. But how sad it would be if people in your own family didn't like you writing! As it is, you have both those inside and outside. Best of both thrills.

Posted by: Lynn on June 4, 2008 06:27 AM

Sounds like a great opportunity. Your classes for this year have ended, right? Bummer about Universal Studios, huh?

Posted by: Pop on June 4, 2008 01:48 PM

I still have the rest of this week and then I have to finish my screenplay too!

Yes, it stinks about Universal... We were just on that backlot not so long ago, so it's very strange knowing much of it is burnt up now.

Posted by: jason on June 4, 2008 02:03 PM

Well, maybe they will make some more interesting rides now...And Jase, that's awesome about collaborating with that guy--sounds like a great opportunity for you!

Posted by: jessica on June 4, 2008 02:17 PM

I agree with you. I always like when people other than friends read and like my blog b/c I feel like they're not obligated to, but they do anyway. I'm sure its a similar (but much more satisfying) feeling about your writing.

Posted by: Jason J on June 4, 2008 04:00 PM