« The French Connection | Main | Network »

July 07, 2008

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

DVDCover.jpg

I had read once that this film had as perfect a screenplay as you'll find. I will say that it does mix drama and humour, tragedy and comedy and action with an expert touch. For me, it draws a ton of parallels to Bonnie and Clyde, and I greatly enjoyed it just as I did that excellent film.

The basic story is that Paul Newman (again, great to see him in his prime) is Butch Cassidy, the leader of the Hole in the Wall gang, a group of bank and train robbers. He's got a sidekick / silent protege named the Sundance Kid (Robert Redford, who's just awesome.) They rob a certain rich man's train one time too many, and it becomes personal, with a team of relentless expert trackers dispatched to catch and kill them.

So it's a chase film, really, with Butch and Sundance trying to stay a step ahead. Yet it's also a film about how it's hard to leave your past behind, even when you go to another continent and resolve to "go straight."

It has an end similar to Bonnie and Clyde. But this time, they take on the world guns blazing, with hope still in their hearts. They aren't ambushed, they end their story on their terms, together.

Robert Redford liked this role enough to name the whole Sundance Film Festival after it. Who am I to disagree?

4 out of 4.

Posted by jason on July 7, 2008 03:29 AM

Comments

I loved this movie! I haven't seen it in a very long time, but am I correct in thinking that "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" was the theme song?

Posted by: KathieK on July 7, 2008 09:28 AM

I wouldn't say it was a theme song but it's a prominent song in the film (during this scene where Butch and Sundance's girl ride on a bicycle) and it was written for this film.

Posted by: jason on July 7, 2008 01:07 PM

I thought that song was connected in some way to this movie, I just was not sure how. It has really been a long time since I've seen this movie!

Posted by: KathieK on July 8, 2008 12:20 AM

Posted by: KathieK on July 8, 2008 12:20 AM

Posted by: KathieK on July 8, 2008 12:20 AM

I have NO clue how my previous post was entered 3 times, I only hit the post button once! How did that happen, Jason? I noticed that has happened other times (by other people) on other posts of yours (and I think I've seen it on some other peoples' blogs, too.

Posted by: KathieK on July 8, 2008 12:25 AM

It is a good film...plus they are both hot.

Posted by: Mers on July 11, 2008 09:17 AM

When I first saw Thelma and Louise, I instantly was reminded of this film. I have to say that I agree, the guys are way hotter.

Posted by: Anonymous on July 13, 2008 01:36 AM