« Attack of the Scary Movies! | Main | Storyboarding »

July 29, 2008

WHAT?

This is a total and complete shocker.

Bennigans is closing all their restaurants immediately! That's crazy, right? No more brownie bottom pies for me.

Read about it here.

(For those of you with more expensive tastes, Steak and Ale is closing along with Bennigans, they belong to the same company.)

Posted by jason on July 29, 2008 01:51 PM

Comments

I have not been to Bennigan's very often, but I really liked their Southwest eggrolls. I have never been to Steak and Ale. I wonder what will take the place of the Bennigan's in Newark.

Posted by: kathiek on July 29, 2008 02:40 PM

interesting... Bennigans was one of the few national chains that I liked... it sucks the way just closed without warning.. You can bet if any of their employees wanted to leave, they would ask them 2 weeks notice.. They could have at least extended the same courtesy to all those people that depended on them for a paycheck (bills, rent, gas money). According to another website I read, since they filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, all the employees are not likely to ever get paid for that last paycheck. How lame!

My favorite bennigans memory is when I worked at Grottos and we declared war on them.. We had built spud guns and would randomly shoot them off at bennigans as a sign of our supremacy.. It was awesome...

Posted by: Jason J on July 29, 2008 03:57 PM

Too funny, I thought you were gonna mention the EARTHQUAKE we just had here in Cali and now I'm too bummed about Bennigans to care.

Posted by: jean on July 29, 2008 04:00 PM

I can't believe we finally had an earthquark in CA and I miss it!!! Hopefully everyone is ok.

Posted by: jason on July 29, 2008 04:04 PM

no more kilkenny country chicken salad, which is too bad-cause that is one of my faves!

But, I gotta say--when Jenna woke me up this morning with a phone call to report some bad news, I was relieved to hear that bennigan's was closing instead of someone sick or anything like that.

Posted by: jessica on July 29, 2008 07:58 PM

If only that would happen to McDonalds....

Posted by: Collin on July 30, 2008 09:51 AM

Mmmm... McDonalds.

I wonder how many independently-owned franchises are left. They will not be closing, according to the article.

Posted by: Mike on July 30, 2008 10:53 AM

I ate at one about two months ago and the food was terrible and the service was slow. It was as if they really didn't care. So I am not shocked by this at all.

Posted by: Joe on July 30, 2008 12:26 PM

Oh and I should add, I used to like the place a lot.

Posted by: Joe on July 30, 2008 12:39 PM

Joe, totally agree! It's so weird how some restaurants are so good for so long but then just go down hill before they close. I loved Chi-Chis all growing up but in my adult years the place went from great to terrible. I wasn't surprised they closed as well.

Posted by: Jonathan on July 30, 2008 01:00 PM

So basically Bennigan's committed suicide. But Chi-Chi's was a murder suicide because it killed people with food poisoning first, remember?

What's the next restaurant that could go out of business?

(Starbucks is doing very badly too)

Posted by: jason on July 30, 2008 04:09 PM