« Unbelievable | Main | More photography from the set »

August 17, 2008

It's a wrap

groupshot_web.jpg

Today, a hardy group of filmmakers and actors called a wrap around 8 PM. I'm absolutely thrilled with the work we all did, and really excited about editing it all together.

I had a much better second day than first day. The first day started off very rough actually. Things were just taking a long time, our camera's sound intake was all clipping, the batteries kept running out, and so much time was being wasted. It didn't help that our shoot was a quarter mile away from our gear truck and we had no immediate electricity (though we did have a generator.) But in the end, we got what we needed for the first day, though I came away thinking filmmaking is VERY hard and I'd rather write. I was just so inexperienced, and I felt it.

And now in the second day, I really started to get a groove. I actually started enjoying directing, got more confidence, and loved the way you could see the movie coming together. Anders Uhl, our amazing DP (seriously, the guy is a total artist, and very patient and smart... love this guy) said that the most important thing a director can do is have a vision and be able to make decisions. I definitely started to grow in both senses today.

For those of you who have gone to group workcamps or short term missions or summer camp, you know bond with the people who share those experiences. This was a very similar experience. I can only imagine what a 30 day shoot must be like.

Overall, it was an excellent experience. I learned so much... and definitely made some mistakes that I would avoid in the future. Our actors, Rebekah and Todd were so amazing and wonderful to work with. We got so many amazing performances, I'm proud to have them in this film.

OK, I'm so relieved now.

Time to start writing again.

Some other pictures for fun (by the way, I know some of them look terrifying... I swear it's a comedy.) These are courtesy of expert photographer Rob McFadden, who I'm so happy was on the set, because he got a ton of great shots):

2766652367_73c54c3c9b.jpg

2767498436_4728e7bf65.jpg

2767499382_5048843c2d.jpg

2767516696_df7ff7dda7.jpg

Posted by jason on August 17, 2008 12:11 AM

Comments

Jase, I am so glad things ended better for you than they began!! The pictures are amazing and Rebekah looks crazy good! Congratulations to you and your team. I would love to see your film!

Posted by: kathiek on August 17, 2008 12:47 AM

Wow I'm so glad to hear things are looking up, especially after all the effort and expense. I love the photo of Rebekah running. At the same time I'm ashamed to admit that when I saw the shot of the guy holding the chainsaw suggestively, I immediately flashed on Josh's last blog. Definite comedy. Please tell me you will screen the end result at the Barn.

Posted by: Anonymous on August 17, 2008 02:24 AM

Awesome. Glad it turned out. Can't wait to see it!

Posted by: Chris on August 17, 2008 06:54 AM

Guys

I am so proud of all the work you put into this! I am really really excited to see this end product and thrilled that you all got to share this wonderful experience!! Those photos rock!

Posted by: Jonathan on August 17, 2008 07:50 AM

an early congrats on the film, jason. from what i could see, it's going to be great. i'm really glad i could hang around on the set and take some photos. and seeing as how you went with anders as DP, and the barn... i think your decision-making was just fine.

anyone who wants to see more photos, i have about 30 online at .

Posted by: snakeman on August 17, 2008 08:30 PM

oops, here's the link:

Posted by: snakeman on August 17, 2008 08:32 PM

It was great having you on the set, and thanks for taking all those fantastic pictures, they're an awesome reminder of those days.

Posted by: jason on August 17, 2008 08:33 PM

1. I wish I could been there saturday, but I had to watch soccer games instead. I am glad that you were able to still get everything together without my gum, knife, or other random things in my pockets.

2. When do you expect to get done editing and everything else with the film?

3. How are you going to put it out there? How are we going to be able to view it? Internet?

Posted by: paul on August 18, 2008 12:24 AM

1) We actually, believe it or not, and I swear I'm not joking, missed you. You would have loved the second day of the shoot.

2) In the next month, although I admit I don't know how long the post-production color correction will take.

3) Film festivals, funny or die, online, and DVDs for people who want them.

Posted by: jason on August 18, 2008 12:30 AM

1. McGyver?!

3) Will there be a fee for the DVD? I would love a copy. That way, when you get all famous on us I will have proof that I knew you when...wait, I had that with A Little Visit...oh, no I don't, my copy didn't play! ;-) Well, you could just swap it out for me!!

Posted by: kathiek on August 18, 2008 03:19 AM

Amazing pictures. I love the full-on head shot of you on snakeman's photostream - very intense. A little scary, actually. Rebekah looks great in a grungy, terrified-for-her-life sort of way.

Posted by: peaj on August 18, 2008 09:42 AM