« More photography from the set | Main | Victory! »

August 23, 2008

Some Synthesis

If you remember, I was feeling quite split earlier on. And rightly so, I have very rich lives that are literally thousands of miles from each other. I can't really be some place without missing out on something that is going on far away. It's just the way it is now.

But last week's film shoot made me realize something... this split, as odd and unsettling as it is, is needed. The shoot simply couldn't have happened if I weren't both LA Jason and East Coast Jason. I needed my base of the people on the East Coast, the locations that I know here, all that... and yet the confidence that LA has given me, the desire, the understanding and the clout to get some talent here on the East Coast to work with me has been invaluable.

It's kind of like how some dishes can only exist when you mix faraway ingredients, and if you just stick to one area historically you couldn't have sugar or chocolate if you were a European. I'm trying to cook some dishes, and will continue to do so, that require people and thoughts and places from all over. So the feeling of longing for another place is just a price I have to pay for that, and I can certainly deal with that.

Posted by jason on August 23, 2008 08:31 PM

Comments

beautifully said.....

Posted by: Mom on August 23, 2008 11:06 PM

Peace is a great thing, isn't it?! You can be "split, as odd and unsettling as it is", and still have peace, because it comes from God, not from your circumstances or surroundings. When you know you are where He wants you, you can deal with anything. God bless you and yours, Jase!

Posted by: kathiek on August 23, 2008 11:32 PM

Mmmm...I like it when you make dishes with chocolate and sugar--However, your short film doesn't really look like it has either chocolate OR sugar in it.

But, it sill looks good. :-)

When do you get back to California? I'll be here till next Monday!

Posted by: jessica on August 24, 2008 03:11 AM

I wonder if that's why lots of super creative (and often rich) people have houses in two or more parts of the world. Have you ever wondered the effects climate and cultural patterns have on artistic output? If so, then mixing them would create some unique and cool combinations.

Posted by: Pop on August 24, 2008 06:27 PM

Posted by: Pop on August 24, 2008 06:27 PM

Adding sugar and chocolate into a film would make a rather - ah - unique shoot for sure!

Posted by: Anonymous on August 25, 2008 08:59 AM