« The Nicholl Fellowship | Main | The Writer's Room »

August 30, 2008

"The Cut" - a web series

A contact I made while I was interning at Maguire (who is also a recent graduate from UCLA's Producing Program. Producers are the people who end up working at Production Companies or Studios or Networks) is pulling together a web series called "The Cut," which is about a fairly down and out agency in LA and its underpaid, overworked assistants. He asked me to be a part of the writing team, and I accepted. It's a great opportunity.

It should be pretty cool. Comedy writing legend Fred Rubin will be running the writing room, and the scripts we write count towards Writers Guild credits. For me, being in the WGA is definitely a major goal.

Fred wrote us an email on Thursday and said to come to tomorrow's meeting with 15 story ideas. 15!? So while struggling with an earache, general sickness, and going to Disneyland and down to Orange County to hang out with Jessica today, I had to have my brain working in the background kicking around ideas.

I came up with one!

Fortunately, this evening while reading through the characters descriptions and generally making the effort to be creative, I was able to develop 14 others. Many of them I think are good.

Should be interesting tomorrow, and I'll definitely keep you up to date on this project. It's the next 8 Saturdays, 8 hours a day.

Posted by jason on August 30, 2008 02:02 AM

Comments

Jason, this is so cool! My head is spinning from all your exciting news lately! I will pray for your health, for many good ideas, and for your continued success.

Posted by: kathiek on August 30, 2008 02:32 AM

Congratulations!!!! Sounds like a great opportunity! And lots of fun.....for you, not me. I'm glad as a counselor, I don't have that kind of deadline to come up with 15 scenarios. In my life, scenarios are presented to me, not the other way around. I hope the powers that be like your scenarios

Posted by: Anonymous on August 30, 2008 07:14 AM

Cool news.

It strikes me that, given this experience, you probably ought to just sit around sometime and just generate one-line story ideas, and categorize them so that the next time someone tells you to bring in 15 ideas, you can just call up a list on your iPhone.

Yeah. I'm sure you're that organized. ;-)

Posted by: peaj on August 30, 2008 08:40 AM

awesome!

Posted by: SnakeMan on August 30, 2008 01:47 PM

was Anonymous Mom?

And can you and Ollie still not hear a thing, as Ollie told me quite seriously yesterday (after he'd been responding to all my questions and startling at the dogs barking, of course)?

Cause, if so, that could be awkward in the writer's room...

can't wait to hear about it--I hope it's awesome! And I'm so proud of you for getting it in the first place, too!

Posted by: jessica on August 30, 2008 01:50 PM

let us know how the first session went today!

Posted by: Jonathan on August 30, 2008 09:17 PM