« Pretty stressed, pretty antsy | Main | word on the street »

August 08, 2008

The Vitamin String Quartet

My sister Jenna watches a lot of reality shows. A lot of them. On my own, I watch just Best Week Ever and The Soup to catch up on all reality shows, but don't actually watch them. But since we've been spending a lot of time here at my parent's house, I've been watching them too.

On "So you think you can dance?" (where clearly by the later rounds the answer to that question is... ah, yes! because everyone is amazing) I heard a really nice lushly orchestrated song which sounded so familiar. Then I realized it was a Paramore song.

Turns out there is this group called the Vitamin String Quartet who re-records a ton of rock songs as instrumental music. They are VERY prolific, and their music is gorgeous. Look them up on iTunes. They do Coldplay, U2, Paramore, Smashing Pumpkins, Linkin Park, Under Oath, to name a few.

Since I only write with instrumental music playing (vocals and lyrics are too distracting to wherever it is my mind needs to be to write story and dialogue) I really appreciate new instrumental music whenever I can find it.

The only problem with these might be I'll sing along in my head because I know the melodies and the lyrics. I'll have to test them out.

Posted by jason on August 8, 2008 11:37 AM

Comments

Ah, Jase, you forgot to mention Workout--I've watched that at your house with you, so I know you watch it:-)

And I am so jealous that you've been watching so you think...I watched it avidly in LA cause we had tivo there, but now I don't--so I haven't seen it in a while!

I LOVE that show. That and Idol are the best reality shows, IMO.

Posted by: Anonymous on August 9, 2008 04:13 AM

oops--that was me, sorry to leave it anon--though you probably coulda figured it out!

Posted by: jessica on August 9, 2008 04:15 AM

Other than the Food Network, the only reality show I watch is So You Think You Can Dance (LOVE IT!!) and Dancing With The Stars, when it is on. Unfortunately, I have not been able to see SYTYCD last week or this week (neither Weds. nor Thurs.), so I have no idea who won! I hope it was Katee or Josh, they were my favorites!

Posted by: kathiek on August 9, 2008 06:59 AM

something tells me you will be pleasantly surprised, kathie.

Posted by: jason on August 9, 2008 11:42 PM

Kathie, it was Josh who won.....I liked Katee or Twitch so I was sad that Josh won. It was a great season!

Posted by: Mom on August 9, 2008 11:43 PM

Actually, I liked Twitch a whole lot, too! I was very glad to see him make the cut this season...and to get so far in the competition, awesome! I forget what season Benji was on, but I actually called in and voted for him. I couldn't vote for anyone this season; I couldn't decide for someone, because that would mean I was voting against someone else I also liked! There were so many exceptional dancers this season weren't there? I mean they were crazy good! I am no dancer, but Jess, wouldn't you agree? You know what to look for. I can catch really obvious errors, but subtle differences or nuances in a performance are not as easy for me to notice. I think this was the best season so far. It was so intense. I couldn't believe when Kerrington and Will were sent home, they are outstanding dancers, as well. That's the nature of competition, though, there can be only one! I am very happy Josh won!

Posted by: kathiek on August 10, 2008 04:24 AM