« Always something to do. | Main | Another Fade Out »

September 28, 2008

House party

The nice people in our 4 unit condo have decided it would be a great day to have a house party. It's now almost midnight and insanely loud. Thumping thumping boom boom boom all the time. I hate this kind of music. And we can't close our door because they're running an extension chord into our house to power their photo booth.

I really like these people, so I won't be a pain, but I'm on page 90 and trying to finish my script and I can barely think above this thumping thumping boom boom boom.

Wonder how late this party goes.

Goodness this music is bad.

Well, the script is, despite the impossibly loud beats, coming along. It will be done tomorrow. Another 10-15 pages and it's FADE OUT. But I can't write anymore now, this is just too loud.

Today Lyric, Ollie, Darby and I went to Solstice Canyon (where I had previously gone with Jessica.) It was great again. Lyric and Ollie really loved it. All the rock climbing was so much fun for them. Darby, when she wasn't worrying that they would fall to their deaths, managed to enjoy it too.

One moment was so special, and just exactly one of the reasons being a parent is so special and fulfilling. We were climbing back down a series of rocks, after swimming in a deep clear waterfall-fed blue pool. There was a tricky part and Darby grabbed one of Ollie's arms while I held his other. We lowered him down to secure footing. Ollie looked at both of us and said, "I love being a kid!" And I know exactly what he means, and I'm so thrilled that we're creating those moments for him that he can always remember. Moments of complete security, mixed with exploration and excitement... knowing that both your parents love you, and pay complete attention to little you...

Posted by jason on September 28, 2008 02:43 AM

Comments

"I love being a kid." That is so much like something you would have said when you were that age! How fun to see the next generation saying the same things as the past generation. Fun!

Posted by: Mom on September 28, 2008 06:51 AM

Sorry about the horrible, annoying music, but it is good to hear that you are so close to finishing! Solstice Canyon sounds amazing and, if I remember correctly, you posted pictures of that are when you explored it with Jess, right? If so, it is beautiful! I love those moments when your kids have such pleasure in your company and show such appreciation for what you are doing with them and for them!!

Posted by: kathiek on September 28, 2008 03:02 PM

you guys are such great parents!

Posted by: sarah on September 28, 2008 08:45 PM

When I first read this, I thought it said the phone cord was powering their "phone" booth, not "photo booth"! :0) Both of which crack me up, because either way, Cali is too funny. Where else would you party with a phone or photo booth? Too bad it isn't their sound system that is running on that cord, and you couldn't accidentally trip on it! That's awesome that you guys got to go there! Sounds like an awesome trip!

Posted by: Chris on September 28, 2008 09:37 PM

So cute (what Ollie said!)!

And isn't that where we thought we discovered that creature...what was it called again? The Ferocious Water Bug?

Posted by: jessica on September 29, 2008 02:33 AM

Hopefully you won't have to deal with this situation again, but do you have noise-canceling headphones? They do a good job at reducing bass noise, and they're great when you're flying too.

It's great to hear your stories about Ollie and Lyric and you and Darby all having fun together.

Posted by: Mike on September 30, 2008 09:26 AM

That is a great comment from Ollie. So sweet.

Poor Darby, being the mom. Glad she had some fun!

Posted by: peaj on September 30, 2008 10:37 AM