« Back in the saddle | Main | this is how LA is different »

September 17, 2008

Updates on what I'm working on...

Electric Chainsaw Short
I've gotten a rough cut together, and it's in pretty great shape. It looks incredible. The performances are amazing, and it's got a great rhythm... lots of laughs throughout. What still needs to be done is getting the footage color / light corrected and also getting the sound professionally worked on. The good news is that the people who are watching the rough - pros who don't have to take the job, let alone be nice about it, are really responding well to the short. Pretty exciting.

Here are some screen grabs:
red4_1.jpg

red5_3.jpg

red7_2.jpg

red7_4.jpg

red9_3.jpg

red9_4.jpg

Romantic Comedy Script
This is the first romantic comedy I've written, and I'm having a pretty good time doing it. I've finished 15 pages so far, and it's surprisingly easy so far... Of course I have been thinking about these characters and this story for about 4 months now, so that makes a good deal of sense. I like these characters, and I think they're fun and funny, so that's showing.

Comedy Pilot
This is a more recent project, but one I have to figure out to audition for a class this upcoming quarter. It's a fun idea, I can't give many specifics for now, but I'm liking it.

iPhone applications
In Hollywood, as with almost anything, you have a lot more power in any given situation if you can walk away from the table. So I'm always trying to figure out ways where, at least financially, I am so secure that money isn't a lead consideration when it comes to determining if a project is right.

Along those lines, myself and a group of my friends have a number of ideas for little program for the iPhone. These can be big moneymakers, once woman who put together a crossword puzzle application is making thousands a week. We have some really strong ideas, but no actually programming skills on the iPhone. So I've been talking to people who do have these skills from all over the world (including India!) to find a developer to hire to make our ideas into reality. It's been fun, and I think in a month or two we'll have some for sale on iTunes. Pretty cool.

Posted by jason on September 17, 2008 12:18 PM

Comments

the rough footage i've seen inside the barn is really scary. i kinda wish it was a real slasher movie and not a comedy.

Posted by: paul on September 17, 2008 01:42 PM

I hear you... we started feeling the same thing, actually, while we were shooting because the barn stuff was so fun and creepy. But I do think it's good that it's a comedy because of the length and the way that opens it up to a wider audience. However, I must admit that filming this has opened me up to wanting to write and direct a straight up scary film, and I never felt that way before.

Posted by: jason on September 17, 2008 02:52 PM

Jase, your LIFE sounds like a movie!! Blessings!

Posted by: kathiek on September 17, 2008 05:57 PM

I always thought losing you to Hollywood was a sure thing; now I fear Rebekah will get a phone call from an agent as soon as your film is out.

Posted by: Anonymous on September 18, 2008 03:02 AM

But, it's not losing Jase--or Rebekah, for that matter--Hollywood is gaining real talent and creativity, and we are gaining people who are fulfilled and therefore more alive...It's win win win, if you ask me! Plus, Jase will always come back, and will be sure to bring his very-easily-transferrable kitten with him (along with his family, of course). RIght, Jase?!?!?! Right?

Posted by: jessica on September 18, 2008 03:24 AM

iPhone apps. I hope it works out. The most fruitful creativity is the kind that is done once but yields continuous, multiple rewards.

Posted by: Mike on September 18, 2008 10:15 AM

Actually, you've already lost Rebekah - without telling anyone we've moved out to Hollywood and she is now cast in the starring role of Spiderman 4!!!

Posted by: Jonathan on September 18, 2008 02:45 PM

Rebekah is the new Spiderman?!

Posted by: kathiek on September 18, 2008 08:22 PM

that's gonna be a loooong commute to the studio for Charis and Selah's Nutcracker rehearsals!!!

Posted by: Jessica on September 19, 2008 11:39 AM

Rebekah is the new Spiderman?!!

Posted by: kathiek on September 19, 2008 06:06 PM