« Representation | Main | Vegas and Zion »

September 05, 2008

vegas

I'm in Vegas with other people from Elany Arts brushing up on design skills. I've never been before. It's one of those "like no other place on earth" locations. I certainly wouldn't say I love it, and in fact much of it is depressing... Yet something about the artifice and sheer craziness of building this gaudy grand replica of better places in the middle of a hot (HOT like 100+ degrees hot) dry barren desert is fascinating and has an energy that is cool to be around.

Because it's so hot they have basically built all enclosed cities - you can walk for miles without needing to take a step outside, it feels like the spaceship in Wall-E, and the casinos have taken advantage of this total control they have over your environment by assaulting every sense with a message convincing you of another desire you need to fulfill. (money! Women! Food!) it's a pretty coherent argument... But just like a fantasy theme park like Disneyland the illusion is broken by... The other people there. These aren't the glamorous ones availing themselves of the life promised by Vegas. These are for the most part the same people you'd see at a Walmart.

If you're curious, here's the tally:

Brett Weber: up $200
Me: up fifty three cents
Collin: down $1
Christian: down $20
Joe: down $40

Jonathan: did not gamble

Posted by jason on September 5, 2008 12:52 PM

Comments

I found Vegas to be a very surreal place when I was there for a conference. The only thing I would recommend is the Star Trek Experience.. Susan and I loved it, but then again, we are big nerds.

Posted by: jason j on September 5, 2008 01:25 PM

Vegas is only fun if you've got some cash to toss around. Yeah, you can look at the flashy buildings, fountains and whatnot, but I did that in 07. Also saw Cirque, which was fun. When I went this past April, I had less than $30 available to me and it was a very blah experience. I'm a big nerd. Perhaps I will look into the Star Trek Experience next September, when I'm there again.

Posted by: Mike on September 5, 2008 02:16 PM

John has been several times for work. He doesn't gamble, he doesn't shop, he doesn't eat a lot, and he doesn't go to shows (unless his company sets something up for their employees...he saw Blue Man Group there once)...he mostly just works. They put him up in these luxury hotels and they make absolutely no money off him. They once gave him a high roller suite all to himself (I forget which hotel it was), we have pictures, and he put his stuff in one drawer and worked out of one of the bedrooms because, he said, "I don't want to get lost or forget anything!"

Posted by: kathiek on September 5, 2008 06:28 PM

I just remember being so shocked to see this city looming out of the middle of the seemingly god-forsaken desert when I was bused there with the Will Rogers Follies tour. It literally looked like a mirage; I don't know if you get that same feeling when you fly there, though.

And it's really hot here in AZ, too!!!! Only, they haven't figured out the walking for miles without stepping foot outside thing, so basically I stay inside as much as I can until the sun goes down. That makes me sound like a vampire, but if you were here, you'd understand.

Posted by: Jessica on September 5, 2008 07:43 PM

Hey that's my father's wife at that casino (or is it Walmart?) LOL

Posted by: Janice Guazzo on September 5, 2008 09:58 PM

Hmm. When I go to Walmart I have the same experience - there it is, looming off the desolate stretch of Rt. 40, glowing in the night, calling me in, and when I go there, I just end up losing money as well. Guess it's true what they say - there are so many similarities between Elkton and Vegas. Hey, what game did you play that paid out 3 cents? Penny slots? How about the bighorn sheep - where was that - near, or on top of, the Hoover Dam??

Posted by: Chris on September 5, 2008 10:51 PM

good jobs, Brett and Jason... now, better question: what's the final tally?

Posted by: jasongchu on September 6, 2008 12:03 AM

That's why I'm waiting until October to move to AZ. We'll see how long I last.

Posted by: SnakeMan on September 6, 2008 02:32 AM

Snakeman, why are you moving to AZ?

Posted by: Jessica on September 6, 2008 04:27 AM

I have some family out there. My younger cousin has his own place and offered to let me stay there on the cheap if I wanted to come out. I think a change of scenery will be good for me, so I'm just headed out to see what happens. No plans.

Posted by: SnakeMan on September 6, 2008 06:38 PM

and what's the final tally on the winnings and losings?

Posted by: shane on September 8, 2008 04:36 PM