« vegas | Main | The heartache of pets »

September 08, 2008

Vegas and Zion

I bet all the NFL games and ended up 8-5, winning $30. However, I also lost $70 playing poker. Poker in Vegas is hardcore, there are pros at every table. I realized pretty quickly that I would be losing all my money and just decided to try to make the experience last and maybe win one hand. And I did! I won one hand. Yeah for me, at a table of 10 players at the MGM Grand, coming away with the chips for at least one moment.

I lost another $20 in blackjack. So for me, Vegas ended up taking $60 from me. Totally worth it for the experience and fun alone. I didn't have any dreams of actually winning money anyway. I like to earn my money! Well, ok, I wouldn't mind winning some...

Tallies:

Brett: +$300 in poker (the guy is like Rainman)
Jonathan: Broke even in NFL bets (took the Eagles and Jacksonville), -$10 in Blackjack
Collin: -$50 in poker.
Me: -$60 total
Joe: - $90 (blackjack plus poker)
Christian: -$100 (all poker)

To get away from the absolute falseness that is Vegas, we drove 3 hours into Utah and experiences pure heaven on earth at Zion National Park. This was quite literally a dream hike for me, as I love rushing rivers and this hike is actually a hike IN A RUSHING RIVER. We hiked a slot canyon, a trail called the Narrows... 600 feet down, and sometimes the canyon walls get 10 feet from each other (though we didn't get to that point, closest they got for us was probably 20.) It was breathtaking and amazing and these pictures don't do it justice.

Update:
Photographer extraordinaire Brett Weber has also posted some incredible pictures at flickr.

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0366.jpg

Posted by jason on September 8, 2008 10:52 PM

Comments

just wow.

Posted by: Anonymous on September 9, 2008 12:17 AM

So what's this I hear about you and brett spooning?

Posted by: paul on September 9, 2008 12:19 AM

It's true. Brett's a pretty special guy... and there weren't enough beds for all of us. Who can blame me?

Posted by: jason on September 9, 2008 12:21 AM

i thought you would say, "what happens in vegas, stays in vegas."

Posted by: paul on September 9, 2008 12:26 AM

if this is what I actually admit to, you can only imagine what "stayed in vegas."

Posted by: jason on September 9, 2008 01:01 AM

maybe brett can win on the west coast, but i have atlantic city on lockdown. let me know if you want some real poker lessons.

Posted by: SnakeMan on September 9, 2008 03:41 AM

We went to Zion when I was little and it was awesome. On the same trip we went to Circus Circus and I won a stuffed parrot. I know, I know, I made out like a bandit. Also, it seems Atlantic City is good for some money. Mike won 200 at the slots. I lost like 20.

Posted by: mers on September 9, 2008 07:00 AM

I've never really understood the allure of gambling for real money. Especially against some hard core players.

Amazing pictures. I want to go!

Posted by: peaj on September 9, 2008 07:10 AM

I know you said these pictures don't do it justice, but they look quite spectacular to me!!

Posted by: kathiek on September 9, 2008 07:49 AM

Those pictures make everything in Vegas look chintzy by comparison. Too bad you didn't get to go to the Star Trek experience.. that place is awesome if you're a nerd like me

Posted by: jason j on September 9, 2008 09:40 AM

oh yeah, i also went 11-5 in NFL picks if you want some help with that.

Posted by: SnakeMan on September 9, 2008 04:19 PM

PJ -

I don't really collect stuff, but I am a total collector of memories and experiences. So gambling for money against pros is kind of like NASCAR racing with Jeff Gordon – not something I care that much (or AT ALL in the case of NASCAR) about but come on how cool is it to say you raced against Jeff Gordon? I love stuff like that. And the NFL gambling is the same idea, I wouldn't really want to do that every week but it was a ton of fun following all the scores and the lead changes and everything.

Snakeman –

Brett said you were "ok" at Poker, so you must just be taking advantage of the geezers sucking on oxygen in AC.

And how were you on Sunday games? I feel like I would have gone 3-0 on the Thursday and Monday games too!

Jason J –

Totally agree! And it doesn't take much to make something in Vegas look chintzy in comparison anyway...

We just ran out of time, we didn't get to do a lot of the things we kept saying we were going to do.

Posted by: jason on September 9, 2008 06:39 PM

All I can say is I've won more playing in AC than Brett and Paul have won sitting at home playing little kids online.

Posted by: SnakeMan on September 9, 2008 06:56 PM

-I've won more playing in AC than Brett and Paul have won sitting at home playing little kids online.

I won a lot more than you think online and you've gone to AC about so many more times than I have.

Posted by: paul on September 9, 2008 07:49 PM

now now everyone, no need to argue. I'll settle this for you... you'll all better than me.

Posted by: jason on September 9, 2008 08:35 PM

I have always felt that if I was going to let money slip from my fingers I would want something to show for it...like shoes, a bag, jewelry...maybe it's just a girl thing!! ;-)

Posted by: Anonymous on September 9, 2008 10:02 PM

Well, if you have to have something to show for it that means no going to a play or a movie, no renting jetskies, no eating a dinner out, no traveling in general...

But I do have something to show for it. I kept some chips.

Posted by: jason on September 9, 2008 10:10 PM

did anybody actually learn some useful design stuff? I would love to hear about that actually. But those pix are indeed amazing.

Posted by: Anonymous on September 9, 2008 11:21 PM

Nope. Not one ounce of useful design stuff was learned, unfortunately.

Posted by: jason on September 9, 2008 11:28 PM

"Well, if you have to have something to show for it that means no going to a play or a movie..."

That's true, Jase, and I certainly enjoy all of that (well, I wouldn't rent a jet ski)! I just don't think of those things in the same way.

Posted by: kathiek on September 10, 2008 12:49 AM

We learned some stuff but it would be pretty boring to blog about...

Posted by: Jonathan on September 11, 2008 01:14 PM