« Trying to be a good father | Main | iPhones and Producers and Beverly Hills Chihuahua »

October 04, 2008

Netflix + Roku = amazing value

If you have a Netflix account, you absolutely owe it to yourself to check out (and buy) the Roku box. It's $99, and that's all the additional money you will spend. Then, once you have purchased it, you can watch any film available for instant viewing from Netflix on your TV.

The quality is DVD level. And the selection, which used to be mostly classics, indies, and documentaries (which honestly, was fine for me, I had the actual DVD delivery aspect of Netflix for the other films), has recently been dramatically boosted, and now has more recent films and a much larger back catalog.

I'm serious, you should check this out.

Posted by jason on October 4, 2008 01:01 AM

Comments

XBOX is coming out with the same thing. should be awesome

Posted by: paul Odders on October 4, 2008 01:58 AM

I've been looking longingly at this. I never thought that Netflix was worth it to me, since I've been only renting like one DVD a month. The rest of the time I get DVDs from the library.

Lately though I haven't even been renting that much. Instead, I've been exploring Hulu. It's been acting as my Tivo for TV shows. The quality ranges from acceptable to really good.

But having the convenience of instant download of movies is very attractive to a couch potato. I may have to add up the numbers again.

Posted by: peaj on October 4, 2008 02:25 PM

YOu can get the lowest tier netflix plan (1 dvd at a time) for $8.99 a month. For me, who can literally watch 25-30 movies a month with instant + DVD, this is a great deal.

Posted by: jason on October 4, 2008 02:49 PM

Oh i how i love/miss roku!!

Posted by: Jenna on October 6, 2008 10:32 PM

I made myself a sort of homemade Roku before the Roku thing became available. I took an old PC, added a wireless card and a wireless mouse and hooked it up to the home theater. What's nice about it is I can play media not available through Netflix on it. The only downside is the wireless mouse. A remote control would be much nicer.

Posted by: Mike on October 7, 2008 03:17 PM