« The Austin Film Festival | Main | Austin Film Festival Wrapup »

October 21, 2008

Sorry for the little communication...

I don't have much time, so I promise a proper update at some point soon.

I have to write 30 pages of my new screenplay this week... Plus I'm trying to rewrite two of mine, too. So things are kind of busy. Plus I have a special little guy's birthday coming up. And the final couple of weeks of development with the iPhone application (hurray, we were approved as developers by Apple earlier this week) involves multiple daily conferences with my buddies in India, Prakash, Huri, and Abshivek...

So things are busy, and I'm kind of scrambling to catch up from my extended time in Austin. (I'll write a real post about that at some point I promise.)

You have to see a film called SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE when it releases later this year. I saw it at the film festival, and it was absolutely incredible. Just a tip, you heard it hear first. Best Picture of the Year.

Got a nice message from a manager / producer today.

Hope all is well. My apologies for taking so long to get back to you -- but I've been bombarded with 300 Nicholls scripts and another several dozen from the Austin Film Festival. I did finally have a chance to look over WELL ADJUSTED BOY and have to say that I was most impressed with your writing and voice. I am on the fence about the project itself -- as it clearly has that quirky, indie feel and stars two kids (which isn't the easiest thing in the world to set up). It's also a bit too sophisticated to be a kids movie. Have to think about this one more. I'm taking a look at the Black Family Singers next. But, first, has anything changed since our last email? Have you signed with anyone? Agent? Mgr?

Cool, right?

I'm writing a one act play this quarter, and really enjoying it. I have to say, it's going to be quite good. I think a couple of friends of mine who are also in the class will be renting a playhouse with me to put them on later this year.

Posted by jason on October 21, 2008 11:50 PM

Comments

Jase, that all sounds so cool--when are you thinking of producing the play?

Posted by: jessica on October 22, 2008 01:11 AM

Jase, that all sounds so cool--when are you thinking of producing the play?

Posted by: jessica on October 22, 2008 01:11 AM

Jase, that all sounds so cool--when are you thinking of producing the play?

Posted by: jessica on October 22, 2008 01:11 AM

sorry about that--I leaned forward and accidentally pressed the keyboard...three times..but I guess you already gathered that...

Posted by: jessica on October 22, 2008 01:12 AM

Sounds great. I'll have to stick into my brain that you have the know-how to engage programmers in India, in case I ever need that info. Cool stuff.

Posted by: peaj on October 22, 2008 10:47 AM

i would think the old "down on one knee" is the proper way to engage anyone.

Posted by: SnakeMan on October 22, 2008 11:34 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but WELL ADJUSTED BOY is not a kid's movie and shouldn't be read that way, right?

Posted by: Jonathan on October 22, 2008 01:08 PM

Right, it's not. That's what he's saying, too. I do think it could have appeal to pre-teens and teens, though.

Posted by: jason on October 22, 2008 01:11 PM

Nice of you to answer jonathan's question...In case you forgot about mine, however, I will repeat it (not three times, though):

When are you thinking of producing your play and are you truly serious about it?

Posted by: jessica on October 22, 2008 01:49 PM

I was too confused about how large you must have grown that a mere lean forward would post your comment not one but three times to take on your question.

Yes, I am serious. I was thinking the end of this year, beginning of next year, probably. It's going to be awesome.

Posted by: jason on October 22, 2008 02:03 PM

Cool beans!!

Posted by: kathiek on October 22, 2008 05:03 PM

Well you haven't seen me for quite some time now...Perhaps I did grow quite large--and what if I did? I bet you couldn't merely lean forward and post a comment just by doing so, I bet you're just jealous.

The end of the year is coming really fast...That's awesome, though, I'd love to read the play when you finish it! I'm in a scene study group on tour and maybe we could do a read-through of it or something; we're always looking for new material!

Posted by: Jessica on October 22, 2008 11:39 PM

Yes, end of this year may be overly ambitious. I could send it once it's done. It's a small play though, only 4 roles, one act (30-40 minutes.) But I truly am excited about it, it's really shaping up to be special.

Posted by: jason on October 23, 2008 01:36 AM

ok... also about the "new material" bit. You know, I've written like 7 screenplays which have won awards and will some day be films, you could read those!

Posted by: jason on October 23, 2008 01:38 AM

Hey, more good news careerwise. Feels like you're getting these "nibbles." One of these days some producer will take the bait and things will really move fast. The Apple approval is great news too. How soon to launch on that? One app success could lead to many more, right? And the new Google phone--can you sell apps to them too? Proud of you, son.

Posted by: Pop on October 24, 2008 11:00 AM

Posted by: Pop on October 24, 2008 11:00 AM

Posted by: Pop on October 24, 2008 11:02 AM

Hey, sorry about the three posts. See, I was leaning forward on my keyboard and accidently hit
Post three times...

Really, the post did not appear so I didn't know if it had gone through so I posed twice more. Now I know.

Posted by: Pop on October 27, 2008 09:41 AM