« On pins and needles | Main | Yet Another Fade Out »

November 23, 2008

Essential Ingredients to a Good Day

I was thinking about a good day. Not a perfect day, not your dream day, but just a normal good day. And then I was thinking about what kind of has to happen for that to be a good day. Nothing extraordinary, nothing particularly amazing even, just the basic building blocks of a good day. For instance, I love to hike and play basketball, but I can very easily have a good day without doing either of those things (though I wouldn't say I can have a good week without doing one of those things as easily.) Do you see what I'm saying here?

So that being said, here are my ingredients to a Good Day (in no particular order). What are yours?

1) Enough sleep. How much is enough? More than 6 hours.

2) 45 minutes of physical activity. I'll settle for the Elliptical, but I'd rather play basketball, soccer, or football, hike, something like that.

3) Write 5 pages. Generally speaking for me, of a screenplay. And then spend time writing something else, too. Note: things can stand in for the screenplay. If I'm developing a story, treatments or outlines will work. So too would a play. I haven't started writing it yet, but so would a novel. Blog posts don't count for me. Truly, blog posts are kind of a small form of writerly procrastination for me. Like right now, when I'm taking a small break from writing my latest screenplay.

4) A moment of connection and closeness with Darby, Lyric, or Ollie (and really all three). Preferably an extended moment of connection.

5) Those three getting along with each other.

6) Contact with other friends and loved ones, family. Be it face to face, email, text, facebook. I love to feel like I matter in people's lives, and knowing that they matter in mine.

7) Helping someone with something.

8) Listening to and singing along to music.

9) A shower.

10) *Wink* Romance *Wink*

11) Learning something new. Seeing something new. Opening my eyes to something I've never even realized existed.

12) Peanut Butter. I can't help it. I love the stuff.

13) Mail!!! This is why Sunday could never be my favorite day. You never KNOW what you're going to get in the mail.

14) Being outside.

So there you have it. What are yours?

PS. Wow #9-12, taken together, are just kind of wrong... I should have spaced those out maybe.

Posted by jason on November 23, 2008 01:26 AM

Comments

8-10 hours of sleep.
physical activity of SOME kind--dancing, gym, hiking, whatever...
writing music/playing music
reading
talking/more than talk(depending on if we are in the same area or not) to Drew
I happen to love peanut butter, too!!!--and I would add cereal, too
contact with friends/family
awesome performance with an amazingly responsive audience
blogging
talking to God

Posted by: Jessica on November 23, 2008 02:20 AM

ah, Jessica you busted me with that last one. It's like the age old, "Who from history would you want to spend a day with" question and everyone goes around the table... Abe Lincoln, Thomas Edison... Jessica says, "Jesus." and the game is over because every else looks like they're putting light bulbs and tall hats above the Lord and Savior.

Posted by: jason on November 23, 2008 02:28 AM

what can I say...I guess I got my life prioritized...;-)

Posted by: Jessica on November 23, 2008 02:38 AM

reading Bible mixed with talking to God
time with Bruce
time with gkids
time with family (not the same as time with just gkids)
Hiking, hiking, hiking with friends or a dog
visiting kids (not just anyone's kids, my kids)
shower

Posted by: Mom on November 23, 2008 07:19 AM

hmm i surprised you left our playing nertz.

Posted by: Jenna on November 23, 2008 09:47 AM

We are going to do a psychological exercise. Let's cut out all of the superfluous words here. We won't rearrange anything or add anything. We'll just delete a few things to get to the heart of you are really trying to communicate.

"...Nothing extraordinary, nothing particularly amazing... *Wink* Romance *Wink*"

Sounds like you need to spice things up a little bit. Maybe some more peanut butter?

Posted by: Collin on November 23, 2008 01:21 PM

hmm...good point, Collin. But, is peanut butter an aphrodisiac?

Posted by: Jessica on November 23, 2008 10:14 PM

good point, Collin--but I don't know, is peanut butter an aphrodisiac?

Posted by: Jessica on November 23, 2008 10:16 PM

Jess - the slightly different double comment really drove the point home!

Posted by: Jonathan on November 23, 2008 10:40 PM

well, that's what I was going for!!!

Posted by: jessica on November 25, 2008 01:46 AM

Before writing about my perfect day...I must add that I too LOVE peanut butter!
Last night I took care of this funny little old lady who kept talking about how much she loved peanut butter. She told me she even put it in her oatmeal! She said she puts a TBS of PB in the hot water that she pours over the oatmeal (if it's instant...she was very specific with her directions!) and then she stirs it in so it melts! Sounded a bit strange but you know...I am going to try it today! I will let you know!

BTW:
I love PB but I am not about to add it in to my *romance* Sorry Chris! You guys are sick ;)

1. My Favorite Day would begin with about 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep...aaahhh I remember the pre kid days...and to wake up on my own. When I was ready to wake up. Uninterupted sleep and waking on my own are trully more exciting to me than most things!
2. Laying in bed drinking really good hot coffee. Not talking to anyone!
3. Reading a good book for a few hours.
4. Taking a walk for a long time in awesome weather! Alone.
5. A sunny, blue sky!
6. Having lunch with friends.
7. Hearing the Ocean and sitting and watching the waves until I lost tract of time!
8. Ice cream, cake, cookies.
9. Laughing with my baby girls.
10. Time alone with each of my daughters and connecting with them.
11. Snuggling with Chris and Kate and Nora!
12. Good tv!
13. A nice cold beer.
14. Nachos.
15. Dinner just with Chris.
16. Laughing and drinking with a few friends and Chris.
17. No loud CHILDREN'S TV! No Lazy Town, No Gabba gabba, No Max and Ruby! Just good music in the background!
17. World peace.

Posted by: Anonymous on November 25, 2008 10:22 AM

Before writing about my perfect day...I must add that I too LOVE peanut butter!

BTW:

2. Laying in bed drinking really good hot coffee. Not talking to anyone!
3. Reading a good book for a few hours.
4. Taking a walk for a long time in awesome weather! Alone.
5. A sunny, blue sky!
6. Having lunch with friends.
8. Ice cream, cake, cookies.
9. Laughing with my baby girls.
10. Time alone with each of my daughters and connecting with them.
11. Snuggling with Chris and Kate and Nora!
12. Good tv!
13. A nice cold beer.
14. Nachos.
15. Dinner just with Chris.
16. Laughing and drinking with a few friends and Chris.
17. World peace.

Posted by: Ruthie Z. on November 25, 2008 10:22 AM

The previous post was from me!

Posted by: Ruthie Z. on November 25, 2008 10:24 AM

Sorry for posting the same thing twice...please edit! I got interupted by my girls!

Posted by: Ruthie Z. on November 25, 2008 10:26 AM

Getting interrupted by your girls. Is that comparable to the original post #10? LOL

Posted by: Anonymous on November 25, 2008 01:17 PM