« Cute Ollie Story | Main | How the US voted »

November 05, 2008

Obama-McCain at the Latshaw Household

Thought it might be fun to repeat some of the comments that were going on around here last night.

First of all, it's no secret we don't live in a Republican stronghold here in LA. Because of this, Lyric made the following observation: "I'll be surprised if McCain gets ONE vote because NOBODY likes him. Seriously, NOBODY that I've talked to is voting for him."

At one point while we were watching the election returns Lyric said, "They should call him McCan't!"

At one moment Ollie lifted his hand in the air and yelled, "Boo McCain, we hate you." Now I don't know what kind of propaganda these kids are being fed, but I didn't want them to be fanatics, so I proceeded to explain to them that McCain is not a bad, evil man, and shouldn't be hated. "What's good about McCain?" Lyric asks. I explained to them that McCain was a veteran of the Vietnam War, and a prisoner of war. And that it was the same War that Pap, Darby's dad, served in.

Now this little connection, despite us trying to convince him otherwise the rest of the night, somehow made Ollie believe that Pap and McCain are BEST FRIENDS. He kept asking things like "Do you think Pap called McCain yet to tell him he's sorry he lost to Obama?" and, during the concession speech, "Is Pap in the crowd there? I think I saw Pap!"

One last bit to add: Ollie asked who we thought was a faster runner, McCain or Obama. When asked why he wanted to know, he answered, "Because then I can tell you who will win the race to be President!"

Posted by jason on November 5, 2008 04:22 PM

Comments

Oh, this is just too cute! How strange to be in different parts of the country.

Bob, are you best friends with McCain? I think he did a great concession speech.

Posted by: Mom on November 5, 2008 05:12 PM

LOL--literally--I was just cracking up while reading this!!!

Hilarious. thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Jessica on November 5, 2008 11:24 PM

hahah me too! this made me laugh out loud!

Posted by: Jenna on November 5, 2008 11:26 PM

This was so funny!

Posted by: Anonymous on November 6, 2008 05:47 PM

Mike and I were laughing so hard at this. I love your kids so much.

Posted by: mers on November 8, 2008 09:06 AM

"Now I don't know what kind of propaganda these kids are being fed"

yeah i wonder where they get that from? Hmmm?

Posted by: Anonymous on November 8, 2008 04:12 PM

this story is hilarious... the race for the presidency took on new meaning, huh? its funny how kids feel very important when asked about politics... our kids had "kid voting" at their schools and got to pick which candidate they would vote for... Aiden voted for obama since his running mate was named joe, like his dad, plus mccain looked too old to him... ethan voted for mccain because he thought palin's smile reminded him of his mom. how sweet...

Posted by: min on November 9, 2008 08:16 PM