« a break in the reign of jason. | Main | Essential Ingredients to a Good Day »

November 21, 2008

On pins and needles

In a word, I'm stressed these days. I wish I was too blessed to be stressed, but I fear I may indeed be the opposite. My scripts are being read by three different agents and I'm trying to be peaceful about it but the waiting is really difficult. I've been successful doing a number of things in my lifetime, but this is one of the first times I've dived full on into something I really cared about. I wish I didn't care so much, actually, so I'm trying to pretend I don't. I know this whole process is one big waiting game. But wow, the waiting is killing me.

I met with my playwrite teacher, Hanay, today, to talk about my first draft of my one act play, "Why Are You Here?" He was very positive about it, so that's good. I have a bit of a rewrite to do to address some of his questions, but nothing drastic and in fact he gave great notes because it'll make the piece stronger. I'm excited about it. But the rewrite is due Monday...

And I also have, oh, another half of a feature to write by next Monday. I'm not stressed about those things though. It's the agents reading my scripts.

Truly though, if they don't like what they read, it's simply not a good fit. I have to find that perfect representation, a person who is passionate about my writing and believes in it. So if this isn't them, that's ok, they wouldn't make for good representation anyway.

But still, it's stressful!

Posted by jason on November 21, 2008 02:19 AM

Comments

Hang in there, Jase!

Posted by: kathiek on November 21, 2008 06:47 AM

I think your "break" will happen sooner rather than later. Any news from the former Cartoon Network/Universal producers about your scripts?

Posted by: Jonathan Latshaw on November 21, 2008 08:51 AM

Jase--you must really be stressed for you to write something like, "I wish I was too blessed to be stressed" cause that just doesn't sound like you.

In fact, you hardly every get stressed--YOU'RE the calm, cool guy that everyone ELSE turns to. But this is so important--and jase, it's good that you care about it--that's what makes you such a good writer. You're not just a machine that cranks out hot topics, it's personal to you, which makes it poignant to others.

I agree with jonathan; your break is coming soon. But I will be praying, nontheless.

Posted by: Jessica on November 21, 2008 12:33 PM

I've been talking to the producers and things got held up in legal but they promised they would send the offers by Monday.

Posted by: jason on November 21, 2008 12:35 PM

Just remember, when it comes (and it will) it will feel that much more special because you care so much.

What I want to know is when do you sleep!!!

Posted by: Heidi Banfer on November 21, 2008 02:03 PM

I know exactly what you're going through, Jason. Because one time I ordered a cheeseburger and it took FOREVER to get to me. I was so hungry and all I wanted was that cheeseburger. I would look around the room at all the people eating their cheeseburgers and I would get so stressed.

But you know what? Just when I was on the brink of breaking down, they brought me my cheeseburger.

And it had mayo on it so I sent it back.

The moral of the story is don't eat cheeseburgers. I hope this helped.

Posted by: SnakeMan on November 21, 2008 03:55 PM

Jase, the only way I ever knew you were stressed when you were a teen is if you curled up on a couch with your back to the world. Has that happened yet and if so, tell Darby to give me a call for some advice.

I do believe this will happen sooner rather than later......in the meantime, breathe deeply, keep exercising, eat well (no sugar), meditate on God...this will break the cycle of anxiety. Because you're my son, I'm not charging you for that professional advice :)

Posted by: Mom on November 22, 2008 08:50 AM

Plus things at times all break at once. So your next problem will be which of the agents to choose!

Posted by: Pop on November 22, 2008 10:04 AM

i know your big break is coming....and its coming soon!

Posted by: Jenna on November 22, 2008 01:49 PM