« How the US voted | Main | and suddenly, I'm behind on a lot of things »

November 09, 2008

So close and yet so far...

Things have been strange lately.

There are so many positives going on, yet so many of them are mostly positive only in their potential. I have not one, but two situations which could result in me having an excellent agent, and another possibility with a group of producers which continues to simmer. Both agent scenarios involve UCLA professors personally recommending me, which I greatly appreciate. Yet I know that all of these amazing going-ons could result in zilch... nothing.

This is probably the life I've chosen for myself, because at no level are things every "automatic." They are almost always a great deal of potentially awesome things that may or (more likely) may not pan out. I have to develop the fortitude to just suck it up and deal with it.

Today we visited the Westside Vineyard in Venice. Darby and I will continue to go to an evening service at Mosaic (one of us going with a mutual friend every other week), but for the kids we're trying to find a better situation. We'll see if this is it. On the one hand, they do a great job at community outreach, the pastor seems like a genuinely nice person who gave a good, practical teaching, and Ollie liked the Sunday School. One the other hand, it felt very churchy, and not in a good way. I can't help but find the language and culture of an extremely churched up environment really uncomfortable, it just seems as disconnected from real life and real emotions as a Hallmark Card.

Posted by jason on November 9, 2008 10:27 PM

Comments

That's weird cause Vineyard is known for NOT being churchy. Too bad. What did Lyric think?

Posted by: Anonymous on November 10, 2008 01:38 AM

Jase, totally I know what you mean about nothing being automatic--but you gotta keep reaching for the potential (I know you are); still it can be a tough road to walk at times...

also, I like hallmark cards!

and I think it's good that you are looking for a church that will be good for the kids; that's so important...but mosaic is such an awesome place that it's cool you're still gonna go there too.

I guess I am just agreeing with you on everything. except the hallmark cards.

Posted by: Jessica on November 10, 2008 02:27 AM

Unfortunately, Lyric was not a fan. She's very picky and doesn't like new things.

Posted by: jason on November 10, 2008 02:29 AM

Jase....hang in there. What's the saying: All things come to he who waits. Not certain that is a true saying for everyone but for you, I think it is.

I'd be really interested in the elements that were churchy at the church you visited.

Posted by: Mom on November 10, 2008 06:46 AM

Jason, you need to let go and let God.

But seriously, that lingo thing gets to me too.

Posted by: Mike on November 10, 2008 09:51 PM

Just don't forget to FROG (fully rely on God) when you are praying for your screenplays and when you are praying, make sure you PUSH (pray until something happens).

Posted by: Collin on November 10, 2008 09:55 PM

Hey, I LIKE that FROG saying!! :-)

Does Mosaic not have much for kids, Jase?

Posted by: kathiek on November 10, 2008 10:57 PM

lol, Collin

Posted by: Jessica on November 11, 2008 01:35 AM

the churchy elements:
* People who upon finding out that I'm a screenwriter wanting to just talk about Christian films and Christian videos. (One person told me about a company which was making "the sequel to the Passion, called the Resurrection," which I found hilarious.)
* Talking about a special overnight "unbridled worship and prayer" meeting, the lady giving the announcements said, "I can't imagine a better way to spend a Friday night." Lyric leaned over to me and said exactly what I was thinking, "I can!"
* Talking about the election, the Pastor said that "it didn't matter what happened in politics, all that really mattered was what God's church did, and the destiny of God's people." This kind of us vs. them attitude is kind of disturbing.
* A number of kids in Ollie's Sunday School told him that they "already wanted a new president." This really confused Ollie, who told me, "but Obama's already a new president, he isn't old yet!"
* They do a lot of great community outreach, but it's clear that it's all with a very heavy evangelistic bent. Now of course I don't think this is necessarily a huge flaw to have as a secondary goal, but I believe you offer kindness to people simply because they are people made in God's image who deserve God's kindness, not because you ope to turn them into Christians. This is a fine line, I know, but it felt more like Amway than God's love. It just felt like their outreach efforts all had strings attached.

Again, they are good people with good hearts, and their style and culture works well for them, but just for me, it was jarring.

Posted by: jason on November 11, 2008 02:47 AM

Thanks for the observations, Jase. Important for us to consider as we try to look at our church meetings through other's eyes.

Posted by: Mom on November 11, 2008 07:57 AM

Mike and I have been trying to find a church we like in our area...it's exhausting.

Posted by: mers on November 14, 2008 08:13 AM